• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meemnut

hi I live in Ny the bronx. I wanted to know more about illegal apartments. How is one considered illegal, what can be done if my apartment is an illegal aparment? Also my landlord wants us move out because he wants the apartment for his friend, however I have no lease. I pay my rent on or before the 1st of every month and he continues to harrase me and my family. He told us he is doing this so we move out right way, he wants to make it hell living here. Wew are looking to move but I have 4 small children and no one will rent to us. Any help you can offer will be great.Thank you

HomeGuru

What is wrong with the place? If there are health and safety problems you need to send L a certified letter to correct the problems. Then if he tries to evict you can claim retaliation eviction. Keep in mind that you are at his mercy because you have no lease. He can just give you a notice to vacate.

M

meemnut

i was told by someone that since we live in a one family house and we share the same meter that it is an illegal apartment. He gets cash from me every month. I was also told that since he has no lease he was at fault. My main concern is that since I have not been able to find an apartment he cannot throw us out into the street. I want to know that I have something to use so I can avoid his harrasement.

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Two families cannot legally occupy a one-family house. Sharing the meter is not solely determinative. The certificate of occupancy is.

If you can't find a place to relocate to, state law provides that, in NYC, a judge can allow you up to six months to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">