• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miskeen04

OKAY WELL ME MY GIRL (17) WAS ARRESTED IN JUNE SOMETIME FOR STEALIN IN GEORGIA WHERE SHE USED TO LIVE. HER FAMILY N HER LIVES DOWN HERE NOW IN FLORIDA AND SHE HAS NEVER BEEN TO COURT FOR IT. THIS PAST WEEKEND WE WERE CRUISIN AROUND AND WERE PULLED OVER AND RAN HER NAME AND THE OFFICER SAID SHE HAD A WARRANT AND SAT HER IN THE COP CAR FOR A LIL BIT AND LET HER BACK IN THE CAR AND SHE SAID HE LET HER GO BECAUSE HER WARRANT IS IN ATLANTA GEORGIA. SHE TURNS 18 IN FEBURARY. AND I WANT HER TO TURN HERSELF IN TO GET IT OVER WITH BUT SHES SCARED BECAUSE ITS JAIL AND SHE DONT KNOW WHATS GOING TO HAPPEN.. USUALLY FOR PETIT THEFT YOU'LL GET SOME FINES RESTITUITION (sp?) AND COMMUNITY SERV. BUT SINCE I GUESS SHE IS ON THE RUN I DONT KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. I DONT WANT HER TO GO BUT I KNOW ITS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. I WOULD RATHER HER TO GO AS A JUVIE THEN AN ADULT BECAUSE AS AN ADULT YOU WILL BE SITTIN FOR A LIL WHILE. I DONT WANT HER TO FACE ANY TIME (DIVERSION PROGRAM) LET ALONE SIT IN JUVIE WAITING FOR COURT.. HELP PLEASE!

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT ON WHAT SHE SHOULD DO? I WANT THE BEST FOR HER AND I THINK HER GOING TO JUVIE IS BETTER THEN HER GOING TO COUNTY.. BUT WHAT WOULD SHE BE LOOKING AT? WHAT IS LIKELY TO HAPPEN? IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY INPUT OR SUGGESTIONS PLEASE FEEL FREE...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Duplicate Post: https://forum.freeadvice.com/juvenile-law-90/help-441566.html

cyjeff

First, typing in all capitals is considered screaming on the internet.

Second, try to type in complete sentences and feel free to use punctuation and paragraphs as necessary.

Okay...

Your girl needs an attorney. TODAY. This isn't going away.

Get her to come on here and ask about details and we will be glad to help. We try not to answer questions from friends... they may not know all the details we need to help.

miskeen04

okay what details exactly do you need? oh yeah sorry for the capitol letters, run-on sentences, and multiple posts etc. but we are really trying to get to the bottom of this. she said she'll turn herself in but she just wants to know what to expect. she just had 1 charge petit theft for a $141.00. would she have "new" pending charges?

cyjeff

Did she take care of the civil demand?

I am guessing there is a failure to appear warrant out on her. That may mean additional charges...

She will need to find an attorney in the place where the warrant is filed and then set up a court date.

This will not be cheap. Between the civil demand, the fines, the community service, the probation and the legal fees, plan on spending about three grand.

miskeen04

wow this is horrible. i figured she would have a failure to appear. im not familiar with any of this so i am just trying to find some suggestions. will she be placed on probation? or sent to a diversion program? is there a possibility of being tried as an adult?

is there a easier way around all of this? or is a attorney the best route? just trying to gather up some info so i know exactly what to tell her mother and so we can get all this over with and settled.

what is civil demand exactly?

i really appreciate you taking the time out and answering my questions.

cyjeff

wow this is horrible. i figured she would have a failure to appear. im not familiar with any of this so i am just trying to find some suggestions. will she be placed on probation? or sent to a diversion program? is there a possibility of being tried as an adult?

is there a easier way around all of this? or is a attorney the best route? just trying to gather up some info so i know exactly what to tell her mother and so we can get all this over with and settled.

what is civil demand exactly?

i really appreciate you taking the time out and answering my questions.
Okay, let's take this step by step.

A shoplift has two aspects. One is criminal designed to punish the shoplifter. The other is civil designed to make the retailer whole from the crime.

A civil demand will be a civil request for several hundred dollars from the retailer. Failure to pay this means that the retailer will take you to court for the judgement. When they go to civil court, they will win (because I am sure your girlfriend signed something when caught admitting guilt) and now she owes the original several hundred dollars plus the retailer's court fees and legal costs. The civil demand alone could now be a thousand dollars.

The criminal aspect, for a first time offender, is probably not going to involve jail. Well, I say that based upon the fact she showed up for the first court date.

Anyway.... the usual sentence is ANOTHER healthy fine, some community service and probation. If all are completed properly, diversion is usually offered.

HOWEVER, because she didn't show up for court, diversion may no longer be on the table... which is why she needs an attorney. You NEED to get this charge off of her record. Theft is one of those crimes that will keep her from getting a decent job for YEARS.

miskeen04

Okay, let's take this step by step.

A shoplift has two aspects. One is criminal designed to punish the shoplifter. The other is civil designed to make the retailer whole from the crime.

A civil demand will be a civil request for several hundred dollars from the retailer. Failure to pay this means that the retailer will take you to court for the judgement. When they go to civil court, they will win (because I am sure your girlfriend signed something when caught admitting guilt) and now she owes the original several hundred dollars plus the retailer's court fees and legal costs. The civil demand alone could now be a thousand dollars.

The criminal aspect, for a first time offender, is probably not going to involve jail. Well, I say that based upon the fact she showed up for the first court date.

Anyway.... the usual sentence is ANOTHER healthy fine, some community service and probation. If all are completed properly, diversion is usually offered.

HOWEVER, because she didn't show up for court, diversion may no longer be on the table... which is why she needs an attorney. You NEED to get this charge off of her record. Theft is one of those crimes that will keep her from getting a decent job for YEARS.
10-4. greatly appreciated. thank you very much.. im about to call around for an attorney. thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">