• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robertcmiller

OK, so apparently I need to petition the court to stop child support payments because the order states nothing as to when it ends or if it ended when my son turned 18. How would I go about doing that if my son lives in NJ and I reside in MN.? Can I petition the MN courts or does it have to be through NJ?

robertcmiller

So I just call the county clerks office in NJ and tell them I need to petition a stop on a child support case? This is something I can do over the phone and through mailing documents in the mail?

Isis1

So I just call the county clerks office in NJ and tell them I need to petition a stop on a child support case? This is something I can do over the phone and through mailing documents in the mail?
you will need to file with the court. calling to let them know doesn't do anything for you. you may want to ask if you can file by mail. provide all copies necessary, fees included, pre-paid pr-addressed envelopes where necessary. they may or may not have the forms online for you to print and fill out.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Bear in mind, Bob, that Mom is likely to contest your petition. That will likely require a court appearance. Especially since you've already taken it upon yourself to stop paying. (Yes, peeps - read his other thread.) This may not amuse the judge a great deal.

Isis1

Bear in mind, Bob, that Mom is likely to contest your petition. That will likely require a court appearance. Especially since you've already taken it upon yourself to stop paying. (Yes, peeps - read his other thread.) This may not amuse the judge a great deal.
*thump* sound of head hitting desk

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">