• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drahgun

What is the name of your state? Michigan
I heard that my wife is filing papers for divorce can I before she serves me put my home in my grandma's name

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I heard that my wife is filing papers for divorce can I before she serves me put my home in my grandma's name
You would be foolish to do so and the ploy would be seen through easily.

Drahgun

The house has never been in our names. The title is not transferred into our. Names so I wasn't sure how it would work

Zigner

The house has never been in our names. The title is not transferred into our. Names so I wasn't sure how it would work
Then you cannot put "your house" in to your grandma's name because "you" don't own a house.

Drahgun

so I guess my actual question is that since it hassnt been transferred and all it's not illegal to transfer to grandma

LdiJ

Changing the ownership, on paper, of an asset right before a divorce is filed, generally will be ignored by a judge in a divorce case.

In fact, doing so could even cause a judge to give more assets to the other party.

Zigner

Changing the ownership, on paper, of an asset right before a divorce is filed, generally will be ignored by a judge in a divorce case.

In fact, doing so could even cause a judge to give more assets to the other party.
Read the rest of the thread. The OP doesn't have a house in his name, so I really don't understand the concern. He ought to tell us about his situation instead of asking questions in a vacuum.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What he should really be doing at this point is finding himself a good divorce attorney since he "heard" that his wife is filing for divorce.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Please elaborate.

And explain why you do not think the marital home is not a marital asset.

In any case, what you would like to do has a name: "marital waste". "Wasteful dissipation of marital assets" could be dealt with in court by compensating the injured spouse (your wife) accordingly. So, don't sign over your car to a relative for $1 either.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course you can! But it may not make any difference wrt the divorce. Judges aren't stupid.

Drahgun

I do have a consult on 9th with a lawyer. My wife has never worked. The house was bought with tax money. The house is still in the person we bought from. I don't care if I have to give her recompens

Zigner

I do have a consult on 9th with a lawyer. My wife has never worked. The house was bought with tax money. The house is still in the person we bought from. I don't care if I have to give her recompens
That makes no sense. If you own the house, then it would be in your name. How did you buy it if it's not in your name?

Another point is that you KNOW that the house is marital property and that you both bought it together...why else would you say "The house is still in the person we bought it from"? You are clear that you and your wife bought it ("we").

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">