• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HELP !!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

allisonp320

What is the name of your state?Georgia- My daughter's grandfather died, and didn't have a will. He had property that estimates around 200,000. My daughter, who is sixteen, and one other grandson, who is 41 are the only heirs. I trusted the grandson to handle the selling of the property. He went to probate and filed that there was no need in handling things through the courts. Well, now he will not communicate with me at all, and has a for lease sign out in front of the property. Is there still any hope of getting things right as far as my daughter goes, or did I just let any hopes of my daughter receiving her inheritance completely by trusting him?

Dandy Don

Too bad he made the mistake of not writing his wishes in a last will and testament. Sworn statements don't mean a thing when it comes to probate.

Why haven't you talked to an attorney about this? YOU have a better chance of being a legal heir in this estate if this was your father who died.

Your daughter and her brother are NOT legal heirs in the order of intestate succession---your father's wife (if she is still living) and your brothers and sisters--if you have any--are potential heirs.

If he did not send you any notice of probate (which he was legally required to do), then go to the courthouse and look at the probate file yourself to see all of the paperwork he has filed so far. There should be paperwork in there showing the value of the estate and the names of the heirs, along with perhaps a mention of when the next probate hearing should be or will be.

Then talk to a probate attorney about what you need to do next.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Too bad he made the mistake of not writing his wishes in a last will and testament. Sworn statements don't mean a thing when it comes to probate.

Why haven't you talked to an attorney about this? YOU have a better chance of being a legal heir in this estate if this was your father who died.

Your daughter and her brother are NOT legal heirs in the order of intestate succession---your grandfather's wife (if she is still living) and your brothers and sisters--if you have any--are potential heirs.

If he did not send you any notice of probate (which he was legally required to do), then go to the courthouse and look at the probate file yourself to see all of the paperwork he has filed so far. There should be paperwork in there showing the value of the estate and the names of the heirs, along with perhaps a mention of when the next probate hearing should be or will be.

Then talk to a probate attorney about what you need to do next.
Don't put too much energy in to this. The OP failed to answer important questions in her original thread and then started a second thread on the matter...and now a third.

t74

Contact an attorney. Real estate owned exclusively by the deceased complicates even small estates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">