• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nurse1989

I live in Mississippi. I have been divorced since 2018. I have two children with my narcissist ex husband who is in law in enforcement. He continues to use his badge and police power to do things. He will not let our boys play baseball on the weekends he has them. He also will not pay his part of medical bills. We have been back to court twice. He has not paid his half of an ER visit on one of our kids. He told me he will not pay it. I told him if you want to go back to court we can considered a threat?

commentator

More information please. What are the children's ages? What are the current custody arrangements? How much and how old are we talking about on "medical bills" and in particular the emergency room visit? What does the last statement in this post mean?

LdiJ

I live in Mississippi. I have been divorced since 2018. I have two children with my narcissist ex husband who is in law in enforcement. He continues to use his badge and police power to do things. He will not let our boys play baseball on the weekends he has them. He also will not pay his part of medical bills. We have been back to court twice. He has not paid his half of an ER visit on one of our kids. He told me he will not pay it. I told him if you want to go back to court we can considered a threat?
It looks like you left out some words in that last sentence. Did you mean to say "I told him if you want to go back to court we can. Is that considered a threat?"

If that is what you meant to say, then technically it is a threat, but it is not an illegal threat. Is he trying to bully you by claiming that you are somehow illegally threatening him?

As far as the baseball is concerned he does not legally have to allow anything to interfere with his weekends with the children. He can refuse to allow them to attend any activities or anything else on his time...unless a judge orders otherwise. Some judges can be convinced to order otherwise, but many of them (maybe even most of them) won't.

A judge WILL rip him a new one (at least eventually) for not paying for things that he is court ordered to pay, but the reality of things is that if someone is absolutely determined NOT to pay, they still won't, no matter what the consequences. By all means take him back to court but don't spend so much money doing it that you end up in the red anyway.

Particularly don't allow him to bully you with his badge and police power. If he truly gets out of hand complain to his superiors.

Last edited:

Eekamouse

If he isn't complying with court orders, take him back to court. I doubt the judge will appreciate a cop who doesn't follow court orders. I don't think what you said would qualify as a threat. It's really more of a promise. LOL.

zddoodah

I told him if you want to go back to court we can considered a threat?
Huh?

It looks like you left out some words in that last sentence. Did you mean to say "I told him if you want to go back to court we can. Is that considered a threat?"

If that is what you meant to say, then technically it is a threat, but it is not an illegal threat.
If, in fact, this is what the OP intended, then I agree.

What does your child support agreement say about payment of medical bills?
What does your child custody agreement say about activities?

Mandy7S

I'm not a lawyer, but it sounds like you’re dealing with a challenging situation. Here are a few points to consider:

Legal Advice: It’s important to consult with a family law attorney who can provide guidance based on the specifics of your case and Mississippi law. They can help you understand your rights and the best course of action.

Court Orders and Agreements: If there are court orders or agreements in place regarding medical bills, extracurricular activities, and other responsibilities, your ex-husband is legally obligated to follow them. Document any violations and provide this information to your attorney.

Non-Payment of Medical Bills: If your ex-husband refuses to pay his share of medical bills, you may need to take legal action to enforce the court order. Your attorney can help you file a motion to compel payment.

Threat Perception: Telling your ex-husband that you are willing to go back to court to enforce an order is generally not considered a threat if it’s done in a straightforward manner. However, your attorney can provide specific advice on how to communicate effectively and legally with your ex-husband.

Law Enforcement Misuse: If your ex-husband is using his position in law enforcement to intimidate or manipulate situations, this is a serious matter. Document all incidents and discuss them with your attorney, who can advise on any additional steps you may need to take, including filing a complaint with his department or other relevant authorities.

Children's Activities: If your ex-husband’s refusal to allow the children to participate in activities like baseball is affecting their well-being, this can also be brought up in court. Your attorney can help you address this issue, possibly through mediation or modification of the custody agreement.

Consulting with a family law attorney will give you the best chance of protecting your rights and ensuring your children’s best interests are served.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">