• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Here we are 2018. Illegal to stream? Technically...no. Correct?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? California

I read both of the articles from the question posed here in 2016 (from Business INsider and Computer-realm.net) and from what I can see, technically by the letter of the current law, only viewing streamed content is not illegal. torrenting, yes. downloading, yes. uploading, yes. streaming it for a "public performance," yes. profiting from it, yes. but just viewing it in your home, streaming it, it is currently not illegal. Is this in fact the case? My partner and I are discussing and she insists it is illegal but I say by the letter of the current law, viewing it is not. She is trying to tell me it's the same as "receiving stolen property," but while i understand the point she is making and how distasteful she finds swimming around in such a perhaps grey copyright area, it is currently technically not illegal.

quincy

What is the name of your state? California

I read both of the articles from the question posed here in 2016 (from Business INsider and Computer-realm.net) and from what I can see, technically by the letter of the current law, only viewing streamed content is not illegal. torrenting, yes. downloading, yes. uploading, yes. streaming it for a "public performance," yes. profiting from it, yes. but just viewing it in your home, streaming it, it is currently not illegal. Is this in fact the case? My partner and I are discussing and she insists it is illegal but I say by the letter of the current law, viewing it is not. She is trying to tell me it's the same as "receiving stolen property," but while i understand the point she is making and how distasteful she finds swimming around in such a perhaps grey copyright area, it is currently technically not illegal.
Thank you for starting your own thread, nearSacramento1. It's appreciated.

Here is a link to the older thread you located that addressed the same questions you are now asking: https://forum.freeadvice.com/threads/is-it-legal-to-stream-movies-on-free-streaming-sites.626172/

And here is a link to the article I referenced in that thread - "How Sketchy Streaming Sites Really Work - And Why Some Are Legal" by Christina Sterbenz for Business Insider: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/are-streaming-sites-legal-2014-4

The law has not really changed in the past two years. Some streaming sites are legal (like Netflix and Spotify) and some are not. You need to carefully look at the source, not only to avoid infringing on copyrighted material but also to avoid malware.

Last edited:
I am speaking of the letter of the law for the viewer. Is it actually in fact illegal for a viewer to watch streaming unlicensed content if they are not profiting from it, holding a public performance, or downloading/torrent sharing? Even from the sites in other countries and such?

quincy

I am speaking of the letter of the law for the viewer. Is it actually in fact illegal for a viewer to watch streaming unlicensed content if they are not profiting from it, holding a public performance, or downloading/torrent sharing? Even from the sites in other countries and such?
Anyone streaming unlicensed content is infringing on the copyright holder's rights and therefore risks having to pay statutory damages of between $750 to $30,000 per infringed work.

Although it will be the provider of the pirated content who will be the major target of a copyright holder's infringement action (including criminal infringement), the end user is not immune from suit should the copyright holder choose to demand compensation or sue.

The greatest risk for an end user could be the very real risk of infecting their computer with malware from the pirated content, however.

FlyingRon

It is illegal. They are benefiting from an illegal copy (since they deprived the rights holder of the value of a legitimate copy).
You can cry all you want, but piracy is immoral and illegal.

PayrollHRGuy

And if the immorality and illegality isn't enough for you. Your ISP can shut off your internet service for illegally streaming copyright protected content.

xylene

I'm sorry, you can keep your moralizing. The Sonny Bono law is not born of moral clarity, it is a government edict.

A law allowing perpetual collection of rent is not imbued with any special righteousness or goodness.

Then why in the article does it specify that it is not technically illegal? I think the specific case for streaming is because nothing is being downloaded or uploaded or shared.

quincy

Then why in the article does it specify that it is not technically illegal? I think the specific case for streaming is because nothing is being downloaded or uploaded or shared.
What you are streaming is illegal if the source from which you get it has pirated the copyrighted material.

As a note: The poster in the first thread (linked to earlier) asked about the legality of the site 123movies (also known as 123movieshub and Go Movies). The site which provided streamed content operated out of Vietnam and was recently shut down by the Vietnamese government for its pirating of copyrighted content.

Posted on the site prior to its closing was this: "Please pay for the movies/shows. That's what we should do to show our respect to people behind the movies/shows."

Paying is what you and your partner should do if you want to view copyrighted content without legal risk.

Last edited:

xylene

Oh my goodness. What a sad way to think.
It's true. There is no god, and if there was all he expects is perpetual atonement. the law has no inherent morality, and nature is inherently adversarial.
The best any person can do is avoid pain and having to atone.

I will never atone for atone for what I've done. No repentance, no self flagellation and I will shirk and resent any punishment put on me. There is no learning, no growth, nothing but inevitable pain and then death at which time their will be nothing but oblivion (no god) or hell (god). Atonement is too high a price for heaven and god know the laws I've broken. So bring it on!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">