• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Here's a question for ya...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sparky13

What is the name of your state? MD

My sister- and brother-in-law have filed two homeowner's insurance claims within the past 10 years, one for a flooded basement that needed a special drain, and another to replace their kitchen floor after the dishwasher flooded and ruined it.

Now their roof or chimney flashing has gone bad and water is leaking into their attic and has ruined some of their living room ceiling. I suggested to them some time ago that, since the roof leak first occurred during Hurricane Isabel last September, they try to file a claim with their homeowner's insurance company to fix the problem. They said that they were afraid their insurance would be canceled if they filed again, so the roof still leaks and is creating a bigger problem day by day.

So, the questions are: What is the chance that their insurance will be cancelled? I mean, just how skittish do these insurers get when people file more than one claim over, say, a 10- or 15-year period?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom in this matter.

Sparky

djohnson

This could have many answers depending on the insurance carrier. Most are skiddish and can cancel or raise your rates. When you say two claims in 10-15 years, does that mean the first one was 10-15 years ago? or that they haven't filed a claim in 10-15 years and now have had two? I don't think one 10-15 years ago would still be counted. If they have had two in the last couple of years then yes they could be in danger of cancelation.

J

jennifer_b_h

One of the problems people have is that they view their insurance policies as a way to maintain their home. One question to look at is how old is the roof on your sisters home? Is it due to be repaired or replaced?? Also it doesn't sound like they have done anything to prevent further damage from occuring. I am not saying that an insurance company would not honor the claim- But it would not be looked favorably on at their renewal.

I would advise that they take care of it as soon as possible to prevent mold from forming- it can cause severe illness and it is something most insurers do not cover anymore.

K

krispenstpeter

Your relative's problem isn't with the insurance cancelling them it's with them not filing a timely claim. At this point they will have a problem proving that the damage occurred during the last hurricane.

So, the last resort is what they have. Repair the damage and move on.

S

Sparky13

Thanks for your kind advice. The first claim was 11 years ago; the second, 6 years ago. I do realize that they have taken no action to prevent further damage and have not been timely about either filing or fixing the leak. So, I suppose, as is usual with my sister- and brother-in-law, they have screwed themselves again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">