• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hey

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nikkicole

What is the name of your state? Washington so I havey little nephew that I've had for 11 years and I'm taking care of his mother told me I can have custody of him but we don't know where dad is what can I do and I talked to a friend that said I can put a add in newspaper for his dad to be notified can I do that ...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You would need to do this process through the courts. You should seek the assistance of an attorney, as we can only give you very general advice. Best of luck to you and your nephew.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state? Washington so I havey little nephew that I've had for 11 years and I'm taking care of his mother told me I can have custody of him but we don't know where dad is what can I do and I talked to a friend that said I can put a add in newspaper for his dad to be notified can I do that ...
The court will require that a search for Dad was made with due diligence and, if he could not be found, may order service by publication (the "ad"). There are specific requirements for such, which I imagine vary by jurisdiction.

Nikkicole

The court will require that a search for Dad was made with due diligence and, if he could not be found, may order service by publication (the "ad"). There are specific requirements for such, which I imagine vary by jurisdiction.
So if they contact him do he have the right to take him if my sister was going to let me have custody

HRZ

IF dad was never legally determined to be dad or married to mom at the time ...his status might be more limited ..and smarter to review options and facts with counsel BEFORE opening up cans of worms. But if he is " dad" then he has a pile of rights...as others address.

Zigner

IF dad was never legally determined to be dad or married to mom at the time ...his status might be more limited ..and smarter to review options and facts with counsel BEFORE opening up cans of worms. But if he is " dad" then he has a pile of rights...as others address.
It's only "limited" by the fact that he would need to take the proper steps to establish paternity as a part of his process of requesting custody. He would still need to be notified though.

Nikkicole

Oh ok thank you ....and one more question so my sister has SSI for son and sends me the money is there and way that I can be his payee

Zigner

Your sister and you can contact the Social Security office for instructions on how to make you the representative payee. You can also do a web search for it.

HRZ

ZIgner is correct...WA does not have a putative father registery therefore it would be necessary to notify an alledged father

LdiJ

Your sister and you can contact the Social Security office for instructions on how to make you the representative payee. You can also do a web search for it.
I agree with Zig on this. You do not have to have custody to be his rep payee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">