• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HH

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state?WI
How do you find a private business' financials?
In a lot of instances the only really good way to get complete and accurate financial information about a private business is from the owner's themselves. This is particularly true for small companies. While the resources that are mentioned in the link quincy gave you might provide some insight on the company's financials, be aware that what you get may be outdated, incomplete, or inaccurate. That’s not to say that such information isn't useful; just don't assume that it is necessarily 100% accurate, or even close to it. Use what you get as a starting point, not an ending point, to figuring out their financial situation.

quincy

Seriously? The resources provided (e.g., Secretary of State, company website, Dun & Bradstreet, etc) would not have "outdated, incomplete or inaccurate" information.

Your suggestion to ask a private company for their financial information is fine - but it is unrealistic to expect that a private company will be willing to disclose it.

I hope you visit more often, Jenn. I was always impressed with your contributions. Good luck.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Seriously? The resources provided (e.g., Secretary of State, company website, Dun & Broadstreet, etc) would not have "outdated, incomplete or inaccurate" information.

Your suggestion to ask a private company for their financial information is fine - but it is unrealistic to expect that a private company will be willing to disclose it.
Secretary of State: In many instances they have no more than demographic information.

Company website: Private companies rarely post financial information on their website.

Dun and Bradstreet: From my extensive experience using them they very often have outdated, incomplete or inaccurate information. In addition, they charge quite a bit of money to use their services.

None of these sources is likely to have the financials for a company: Balance Sheet, Profit and Loss, Cash Flow Statement. Those are often posted on the websites of public companies traded on the stock exchange, but NOT private companies.

quincy

I agree it may not be EASY to acquire financial data about a private company.

But the Library of Congress has provided the best ways to obtain this information (short of a subpoena or the company willingly handing over its data, which would be highly unlikely).

Obtaining the financial information will require research.

Last edited:

jenn19

Thanks LdiJ and TaxingMatters for weighing in. Its been a while since I've played this game. I admire this agitator's oomph and hate to see any good energy squandered. Wages and benefits are fair, but the working conditions are not. I hate to get involved since my resume is pretty fresh in The Big Guy's mind but, I love a good fight for the workers.

And thanks again, quincy; was hoping for a legal maneuver, but that would be too easy, I guess.

Hi to rest of the FA gang as well. Thanks for all you do. You're still a rough crowd.

quincy

... And thanks again, quincy; was hoping for a legal maneuver, but that would be too easy, I guess.

Hi to rest of the FA gang as well. Thanks for all you do. You're still a rough crowd.
Right. I see no easy legal maneuver available for you to take to get the information you want. Just a lot of research.

By the way, we are not quite the same "rough crowd" that we once were - although some of us are still a little rough around the edges. :)

Good luck.

quincy

No, the laws are rough. Y'all just tell the cold hard truth.
Well, a legal forum is not exactly the best place for warm fuzzy falsehoods so often all that remains is the cold hard truth.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">