• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hi does this mean I will receive 1700 dollars a month?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I'm in Maryland.
I was confused about the amounts shown here, an I going to receive 1700 dollars every month? This is my first check, could it be part of the back pay why it's so high? Thanks for any help.

LdiJ

Normally someone only gets SSI if their regular SSDI is less than $750.00 and then the amount of SSI that they get is only the difference between their SSDI amount and $750.00. In other words, the max you can get is $750.00 unless your SSDI amount is higher than that. If that is your regular SSDI amount it would be higher than $750.00 so you should not be receiving SSI.

Therefore yes, its very possible that these payments are part of your backpay rather than your regular monthly pay.

Janke

No. It means that the SSI was adjudicated to payment by one employee before the SSDI was adjudicated to payment by another employee, and the interface between the programs was not early enough in the month to stop the SSI from being paid. Some of the letters will tell you about that. The $750 is an overpayment because you are not due any SSI in October because the SSDI also got adjudicated to payment. It is possible that the $750 SSI overpayment will be automatically deducted from the rest of the SSI back pay so you can think of it as an advance on back pay, although it really is an overpayment. The system should net it against the remaining underpayment (back pay)

SSA is not done with your case. The SSI back pay will be scheduled to be paid in installments although you meet an exception because you are no longer eligible for SSI. You may have to remind the SSI claims rep to apply the installment exception. That gets missed sometimes. Windfall offset has to be applied. That computation involves a second computation of SSI as if the SSDI had been paid on time, with the attorney fees backed out at the beginning of the comp period. It may take the rest of October for SSA to finish all processing. Your payment date may eventually change to correspond with your birthday too.

Read your letters. The information is contained in your letters, although buried in legally required language.

Thank you for this helpful answer. Two things, I got SSI without a lawyer, and I do not have a reliable way to get mail as I am homeless I never got most of my letters.

This morning the SSI payment has been reduced to 0 and it only shows the SSDI payment. In my award letter it mentions that my payments for SSDI are 959 for March thru November 2017 and then it says they were 978 for December 2017 thru September 2018. Does this mean I will get all that as back pay? I went to ss department today and got a statement of award for SSI that says I'll be getting back pay of a little over 8000 for SSI, based on payments of 750, but is it not the case that SSI has been replaced by SSDI now that I have been approved for that? It's a difference of 9000 dollars so I'm very interested to know which back pay is correct. Thanks.

Last edited:

Janke

SSDI will be offset by any SSI that is paid for the same month. So if you are due $8000 from SSI and $17,000 from SSDI and all months overlap and there are no attorney fees, then you will get $8000 from SSI and $9000 from SSDI for a total of $17,000. This may be the only time in your life that you have a lump sum of money that will set you up to have a better life, so think long and hard about how to spend it.

If you are on other government assistance programs, like Food Stamps, those will be changing as well. Eventually.

You can get copies of your letters and you should read them because you are held accountable for reporting events that affect SSDI and if you don't read the letters, you are not well informed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">