• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

High School Failure to submit scholarship app.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bozinberry

Houston, Texas

My daughter graduated last year from High School. Brief description of problem: Graduated salutatorian, received a $8000 scholarship but her application for a $12,000 one was not submitted by the school personel. This was not accidental but was due to an incompetent counselor. The school was under investigation during the time of this incident for mismanagement and incompetence and the report issued showed such to be true.

I followed the chain of command with emails and letters with no response. My final demand to speak before the Houston Independent School District Board of Education resulted in a response from the Supt of Schools four hours prior to my speaking. When I spoke I specifically addressed the Supt's letter and the incorrect statements of fact. No one, including the Supt responded to my talk and I was dismissed.

Can the district be sued? If not for the monetary amount, for the failure to respond to allegations and ignore the questions? I am considering sending them a bill for $12,000 but don't know if there is a specific way to phrase the wording? We are a low income family with our other daughter born deaf. Our graduate is now at MIT.

pro bono would not handle it as I make $25,000 a year. Can my daughter go pro bono as she makes far under the required $18,000?

Replies are greatly appreciated as this has angered me greatly.

Last edited:

vrzirn

Can you prove a timely filing of the papers would have resulted in the granting of the scholarship?
Just because she received one does not mean she automatically would be granted another.

B

bozinberry

Requirements for award

Yes, The scholarship requirements were VERY specific. It was based on grades/class standing and financial need.

The only reason I even checked on this was that the two girls (two female and two male winners per HS) who won had lower rankings/grades and both had far higher income families. The judges do not bypass the requirements. If three or more of the same sex have the same qualifications, they then consider extra-curricular activities (which our daughter had as many if not more.

She was second in her class with a GPA of approx 4.68, SAT's of 800-math-760-english. As for financial need, of all the applicants we were the most needy. One of thewinners parents are both doctors and I am self-employed at general contracting at ~$25,000 a year

Generally (past years and all 28 or so high schools in our district), the valdictorian and salutorian (sp) recieve this award. In addition to our daughters ommission ofher application, the valdictorians was never submitted. Both applications met the requirements for submission.

My original request in writing was that a non-biased committee review these two girls applications to e if they would have won and if so, to compensate them.

Here is a link to an article that was written on this by a local paper:

http://www.houstonpress.com/issues/2002-05-30/downing.html/1/index.html

vrzirn

At this point your daughter has more important things to do at MIT than to pursue a lawsuit. Unfortunate, yes: unfair, perhaps.
Lawsuits are costly and any pro bono work by a busy attorney involves far more serious issues than missing a scholarship.
I do know that if it had been my scholarship or my daughter's scholarship I would have been personally shepherding that paperwork to it's destination. (Been there, done that).
You simply cannot rely on others to do so although it supposedly is their job. Things often fall through the cracks even when the personnel are usually competent. All you get is a brief apology and a shoulder shrug. NO money.
MIT has lots of scholarships and perhaps she can make up the difference through their financial aid office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">