• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Highway by my backyard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bayousurfer

We bought a nice house at the end of a cul-de-sac in Louisiana approximately 5 years ago. Shortly after moving in, we learned the parish government intended to extend a major road behind our house. There is a right of way just past our property line where there are currently power lines. Beyond that, there are some trees then mostly cane field.

The plans for this major road currently will have it passing just beyond our property line- this is approximately 35 yards from our house itself.

This extension will be a fairly high volume road. The closest portion of the existing road is a 45 mph road where vehicles routinely drive 55 mph. Further, the same road is being developed mostly for commercial purposes and the traffic that passes will feature a lot of trucks.

The noise will be a major problem. There will be substantial pollution issues as well. Our kids are young and I cannot imagine staying here with such a major road so close to the house.

My question is do we have any legal recourse in this? Is it possible to stop the road construction based on noise or other pollution issues so close to our house? Would it be possible to force them to build the road farther away from our house? The other side of the road is cane field and the noise in that direction would matter much less.

Similarly, would we have any recourse if we sold the house at a substantial loss? For example, if I ultimately sell this house for $200,000 less than I paid for it (because of the impending road construction), would I have any legal recourse?

I assume there is nothing legally in this but wanted to ask an attorney. I am medical and I do not understand the law at all

LdiJ

We bought a nice house at the end of a cul-de-sac in Louisiana approximately 5 years ago. Shortly after moving in, we learned the parish government intended to extend a major road behind our house. There is a right of way just past our property line where there are currently power lines. Beyond that, there are some trees then mostly cane field.

The plans for this major road currently will have it passing just beyond our property line- this is approximately 35 yards from our house itself.

This extension will be a fairly high volume road. The closest portion of the existing road is a 45 mph road where vehicles routinely drive 55 mph. Further, the same road is being developed mostly for commercial purposes and the traffic that passes will feature a lot of trucks.

The noise will be a major problem. There will be substantial pollution issues as well. Our kids are young and I cannot imagine staying here with such a major road so close to the house.

My question is do we have any legal recourse in this? Is it possible to stop the road construction based on noise or other pollution issues so close to our house? Would it be possible to force them to build the road farther away from our house? The other side of the road is cane field and the noise in that direction would matter much less.

Similarly, would we have any recourse if we sold the house at a substantial loss? For example, if I ultimately sell this house for $200,000 less than I paid for it (because of the impending road construction), would I have any legal recourse?

I assume there is nothing legally in this but wanted to ask an attorney. I am medical and I do not understand the law at all
You can certainly attend township meetings regarding the road and try to rally your neighbors to help you protest against it, but absent of that kind of effort, there is little that you can do.

FarmerJ

Before putting in a offer you could have contacted the city / county to learn if there were any plans in place to redevelop the property behind you or road projects or public projects planned and since it would have been public information it would have been available to you. Do know that some times local highway departments make plans too and it can take them decades to actually get them started . ( Minnesota state highway 100 had plans for decades to eliminate stop lights and build ramps & bypasses and it took MNDOT about 30 years to actually begin construction, I 94 in north Minneapolis same , its extension to connect it to 694 was planned for years, land cleared and took many years to actually start)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">