• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hipaa violation by pediatrician?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustratedinKY

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

I recently wrote a letter to my daughter's pediatrician requesting her medical records be transferred to another pediatrician's office. The pediatrician in question shared the contents of this letter, and the name of my daughter's new pediciatrian, with my ex-sister-in-law (who also takes her children to this practice). Is this a HIPAA violation?

msiron

Contents of said medical records (illness, disease, tests, etc..) are what is protected.

What you xpedi did was in bad taste. Doesn't he have medical issues to discuss with your x sis-n-law about her own kids instead of your business? Good thing you changed... spread the word about this gossip monger doctor, though it's likely she prodded him for info, he should of kept his mouth shut in good taste.

ecmst12

Whether or not someone is a patient at an office is also protected information.

You can report it to the HIPAA board, who may or may not decide to counsel the doctor's office on proper procedures. That is the extent of it.

lealea1005

I agree. It was, most definitely, a HIPAA violation and should be reported. The fact that the patient is transferring to another Physician is considered protected information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">