• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HIPPA Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amyangela

What is the name of your state? Texas

I am a chiropractor in practice for myself. I had to fire my receptionist on Friday. When she came back into the office todayto pick up her personal belongings, she also took my appointment book which contains patient names, phone # s and patient appointment information. She brought the blank appointment book to work with her when she went to work for me and every time I offered to pay her for it, she said, no if was mine. She is now saying she owns the appointment book and took it with her. I offered again to pay her for it and she said no. Her dad was with her and said that I could buy it for $3000. I had a reception area full of patients and as this was already causing a scene, I could think of no way to get the appointment book from her without using force so she left with it. Is this a violation of HIPPA since she took my patient information out of the office without the patient's consent? What recourse do I have for getting my appointment book back? Was the $3000 amount exortion? I do not know what to do. Thanks,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">