• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hire Lawyer to Send Letter of Demand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MT
If I want to hire a lawyer to send a letter to a person that is a threat of litigation (e.g. If you dont do X,Y or Z I will take you to court). Can that lawyer be from any state and even not licensed to practice in my state?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why don't you write the letter yourself?

If a person is representing themselves as an attorney and sending letters regarding legal action they need to be admitted to practice law in that state.

quincy

MT
If I want to hire a lawyer to send a letter to a person that is a threat of litigation (e.g. If you dont do X,Y or Z I will take you to court). Can that lawyer be from any state and even not licensed to practice in my state?
Is the person you are threatening to sue located in Montana?

quincy

The assumption was it would carry more weight from a law office.
Cease and desist letters can be more effective coming from an attorney on law firm letterhead because the recipient of the letter is made aware upon receipt of the letter that the other party is already considering a legal solution.

The attorney you hire to draft and send the letter should be licensed to practice in Montana, and know the state law or laws that will be used to support the threatened legal action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">