• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hired contractor and insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I need advice about legal sides of hiring a painter for an outside painting job. I found a person who does not go by a company name, but says he is licensed and has a 100K coverage for himself and anyone who works for him. Our house is relatively high and sits on an 8 foot elevation, so the possibility of workers'injury is a concern for us. We also live in a neighbourhood that locals believes to be rich, so it tends to make contractors greedy. Our insurance agent tells us that we should be concerned about any damage that a contactor may cause to our or the neighbour's property.
What is the best way to protect ourselves? Is there any way to protect ourselves even if the painter is not licensed/insured?



I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

You live in a neighborhood considered wealthy and you are being cheap. How could you possibly think that by cutting corners, like hiring an unlicensed, uninsured painter, is going to save you money?

It isn't. Ask for his business license and insurnace info. Contact his insurance co to see if he is covered and for how much. Contact the licensing bureau and make sure he has all required licenses for him to do this specfic job.

Also, don't cut corners. Make sure you read all contracts thoroughly and make sure indemnifies you against any claims by neighbors, etc. Make sure the responsibility falls on him. Subrogation is a good way, where you replace fault (he becomes liable). But I would consult a contracts attorney/construction attorney to get the language right.


Have him provide you with a "Certificate of Liability Insurance". It will list the name of the Insurance Company, Agent and his limits of liability. Then contact the listed agent and verify that he has coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential