• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hired hand?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

willythornton

hello, im finally getting my license back after 10+ years of no license and 9 years no alcohol...my lawyer says he needs 3 support letters for the hearing.
problem i have is finding 3 people able to write letters in a manner that sounds professional and not all rambling together with run on sentences and what not lol..so is there somewhere or someone i should talk to, that will listen to roughly my supporters are saying but be able to put it in a readable court presentable manner?

quincy

The purpose of reference letters is to have a positive picture of you presented by those who know you best both in your personal life and in your professional life.

Character references do not need to be professionally written to be effective. What a judge is looking for in the letters is honesty and sincerity (not, for example, a copy of a sample letter found online).

That said, you want all letters that are presented on your behalf to be written in a way that can be easily read and understood. If those who know you best have difficulty writing, you should ask your attorney what he recommends.

Letters generally can be edited for clarity (adding proper punctuation, correcting grammar and spelling errors) but the content of the letter should remain original to the author. What is more important than how the letters are written is what is said in the letters.

Congratulations on your 9 years of sobriety.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">