• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hiring contract question, help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leefee123

Hi! I have accepted an offer for a new position and I cannot seem to find the answer to this. Is the “governing law and venue” clause asking for the address where I live (Florida), where the position is based (denver) or where the main office of the company is (san diego)?

quincy

Hi! I have accepted an offer for a new position and I cannot seem to find the answer to this. Is the “governing law and venue” clause asking for the address where I live (Florida), where the position is based (denver) or where the main office of the company is (san diego)?
Are you being asked to fill in a form that requests this information (which would be odd)?

Leefee123

Are you being asked to fill in a form that requests this information (which would be odd)?
The spaces for this info, county and state, are blank. So i just assumed it was for me to do. I guess someone else could have access to the document thru docusign? Just thought if so that would have been filled in already

quincy

The spaces for this info, county and state, are blank. So i just assumed it was for me to do. I guess someone else could have access to the document thru docusign? Just thought if so that would have been filled in already
Generally the governing law and venue will be included in the contract. It is not up to an applicant/employee to decide what laws will govern the contract.

PayrollHRGuy

It would be very unusual for the newly hired employee to complete that informaiton.

What is the form you are completing?

quincy

It is a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement
You would be smart to have the agreement personally reviewed by an attorney in your area prior to signing and submitting it.

The governing law is important because the laws on NDAs and confidentiality agreements can vary in significant ways from state-to-state.

zddoodah

Is the “governing law and venue” clause asking for the address where I live (Florida), where the position is based (denver) or where the main office of the company is (san diego)?
I've never heard of a clause asking for anything. Contracts sometimes contain a provision that could reasonably be called a "governing law clause." That clause will specify which state's laws will govern any dispute arising out of the contract. For example: "This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Euphoria, without regard to conflicts of laws principles."

It is a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement
The spaces for this info, county and state, are blank. So i just assumed it was for me to do.
As a quick aside, I've never heard of a "governing law clause" including anything other than a state name. Can you quote the entire clause (with any actual names removed or changed)? Regardless, if I were you, I would ask the person who sent you the document what you're supposed to put in the blanks and make it clear (in a polite way, of course) that you don't want to sign anything that has blanks in it.

Leefee123

"Governing Law and Venue: All questioning concerning this Agreemenr, and its construction, and the rights and liabilities of the parties hereto shall be interpreted and enforced in accordance with the laws of the state of (State) without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law provision or rule that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the state of (State). The parties hereto agree that all actions and proceedings relating hereto shall be litigated in (County, State)."

quincy

"Governing Law and Venue: All questioning concerning this Agreemenr, and its construction, and the rights and liabilities of the parties hereto shall be interpreted and enforced in accordance with the laws of the state of (State) without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law provision or rule that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the state of (State). The parties hereto agree that all actions and proceedings relating hereto shall be litigated in (County, State)."
Those blanks need to be filled in by the employer. I agree with Doodah that you should not sign the agreement as it stands. The governing law is important.

Leefee123

Those blanks need to be filled in by the employer. I agree with Doodah that you should not sign the agreement as it stands. The governing law is important.
Thanks for all the help everyone! I just sent an email asking for some clarification. :) thanks again

quincy

Thanks for all the help everyone! I just sent an email asking for some clarification. :) thanks again
Even with clarification, you should not sign the agreement as it is, nor should YOU fill in the blanks. Request a new agreement that includes all terms and conditions.

I also recommend you have the new agreement personally reviewed by an attorney in your area. You want to fully understand all of what you are agreeing to, and the possible consequences of violating any of these terms and conditions, before your signature legally binds you to the agreement.

Good luck in your new job.

adjusterjack

Agree with Quincy's last comment.

That kind of contract could also have a non-compete agreement agreement that will render you unemployable should you leave the company.

zddoodah

Ok...that's both a choice of law and choice of forum/venue provision. Incredibly common stuff. As I mentioned before, if I were you, I would contact the person who sent you the document and mentioned that there are missing fields or blanks that need to be filled in before you can sign (obviously, you "can" sign with the blanks, but it wouldn't be a good idea).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">