• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hiring statistics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kolabok

What is the name of your state (VA)?

I attempted to look for the information at the obvious choice, the US Labor dept., but couldn't narrow down the search. So how can one proceed to find out the ratio of county employees who live and work in the same county, verses the employees who commute from their county to work in another county? I'm looking for trending in hiring practices.

thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
By any chance is this related to your belief that a government agency should provide you with a reason why you weren't hired?

eerelations

By any chance is this related to your belief that a government agency should provide you with a reason why you weren't hired?
And even if it isn't, please note that while discriminating against you because of the county you live in is discrimination, it's not illegal discrimination.

Last edited:

commentator

Or hiring people who do not live in the county, not giving priority to people who do actually live in the county, as long as this does NOT create an automatic discriminatory situation (in that one ethnic group of people, say, tend to live in one county or another) This has been looked into many times in many places I've been aware of, people do throw fits if say, the county clerk tends to hire people from other counties instead of our own county here. Trouble is, our cost of living here is very high, the pay at the clerk's office isn't great, and lots of people from surrounding counties are just more interested and often better qualified.

But the DOL isn't going to keep up with things like this, simply because there is no requirement that they do so. They have extremely specific things they collect data on and measure. This isn't one of those things.

kolabok

Or hiring people who do not live in the county, not giving priority to people who do actually live in the county, as long as this does NOT create an automatic discriminatory situation (in that one ethnic group of people, say, tend to live in one county or another) This has been looked into many times in many places I've been aware of, people do throw fits if say, the county clerk tends to hire people from other counties instead of our own county here. Trouble is, our cost of living here is very high, the pay at the clerk's office isn't great, and lots of people from surrounding counties are just more interested and often better qualified.

But the DOL isn't going to keep up with things like this, simply because there is no requirement that they do so. They have extremely specific things they collect data on and measure. This isn't one of those things.
benefits drive people from the county they may live in, to a higher, thus more profitable contract of employment in another county.

Without having to FOIA my county. the trend is to move from southern county's to northern county's were the money is

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
But they're trends and patterns that don't mean anything with regards to employment laws or policies. It's useless data.

commentator

Or to the local applicant who thinks the county should be forced to give preference to people within the county. Our county went back and did some sort of tally, at one point, because of a very vocal protester. But it was conclusively determined, after this person had gone to the local television investigative reporter and carried on and raised a great stink about the county hiring all those out of county folks to work in local government offices, (when they were not hiring him) that this is not an EEOC violation, that nobody requires it, etc.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
And even if it isn't, please note that while discriminating against you because of the county you live in is discrimination, it's not illegal discrimination.
Actually, I disagree with that slightly when it comes to government employment. When it comes to government employment, the rules are a bit different, and they vary from state to state and locality to locality. For example, there are some localities that require a government employee to live in that locality; in such a locality it is not only legal to refuse to hire an applicant outside the locality it is actually required (assuming the local law does not run afoul of some state law that prevents imposing that kind of obligation). On the other hand, in some states it is indeed not legal for a locality to give preference to applicants living in the the locality over those from outside the locality.

Stephen1

Here's my take - if there is no legislation/requirement addressing in-county/not in-county hiring practices and you believe there is a problem, then you need statistics to present to your appropriate rule-making body (state legislature for state-wide issue, county or town council for local issue). Since no one currently requires the collection of such data perhaps you could fund some consultant to research and obtain that data.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">