• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and run, dealer not being helpful

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
He looked the car up on the dealer's website because it was previously for sale there.
Well if the car was already sold it probably wouldn't be there. There would also be no way to know whether a listed vehicle was actually the one involved. It would not be unreasonable to assume that the dealer had more than one car of that color in its inventory.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Well if the car was already sold it probably wouldn't be there. There would also be no way to know whether a listed vehicle was actually the one involved. It would not be unreasonable to assume that the dealer had more than one car of that color in its inventory.
I agree - and a subpoena would likely be too broad to be enforceable.

justalayman

I agree - and a subpoena would likely be too broad to be enforceable.
Why would a subpoena be too broad? Op has dealer name, description of the vehicle, and maybe even the date the paper plate was issued. Even without the exact date he would be able to limit it to the life of a paper plate prior to the date of the accident (90 days?).

How many cars of that make model and color do you think the dealer sold in the previous 90 days?

The one thing that’s odd to me is:

From what I’ve read the dealer is not required to issue a paper plate until 2019. Until then I understand the driver keeps proof of purchase handy to show the cop of stopped. Are dealers in California being proactive and issuing paper plates already

And some dealers list the vin # in their advertisements when advertising a car.

Zigner

Why would a subpoena be too broad? Op has dealer name, description of the vehicle, and maybe even the date the paper plate was issued. Even without the exact date he would be able to limit it to the life of a paper plate prior to the date of the accident (90 days?).

How many cars of that make model and color do you think the dealer sold in the previous 90 days?

The one thing that’s odd to me is:

From what I’ve read the dealer is not required to issue a paper plate until 2019. Until then I understand the driver keeps proof of purchase handy to show the cop of stopped. Are dealers in California being proactive and issuing paper plates already?
A "paper plate" is the "plate" that shows the dealer's name, not an actual plate with a number.
You may be right that a subpoena could work. The OP should search the web for California Small Claims Court Subpoena which will yield the form required.

justalayman

A "paper plate" is the "plate" that shows the dealer's name, not an actual plate with a number.
You may be right that a subpoena could work. The OP should search the web for California Small Claims Court Subpoena which will yield the form required.
Oh. Paper plates will soon be an actual temporary license plate. From what I’ve read they will be good for 90 days and they are required in 2019. We’ve had paper plates (actual temp license plates) as long as I can remember. I always thought it was odd California didn’t require anything like that.

Zigner

Oh. Paper plates will soon be an actual temporary license plate. From what I’ve read they will be good for 90 days and they are required in 2019. We’ve had paper plates (actual temp license plates) as long as I can remember. I always thought it was odd California didn’t require anything like that.
I think the difference is that, for us, the plates usually stay with the car. Presently, we have a little folded up paper that is taped by the dealer to the inside of the front windshield on the passenger side. It's been pointed out before that such a thing actually gives the police a reason to stop you if they so desire. Paper number-plates make more sense.

Ephalion

Because the “student of the month” bumper sticker that was torn on the car on my video matched the one on their site.

I gave up and just used that information to get a carfax report and did it that way.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, and even to those who didn’t.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">