• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run + No Insurance+ DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3000GTCSULB

What is the name of your state? California

About three months ago I was hit by a drunk driver. He fled the scene but was later on in the night caught by police. The guy has no insurance, no assets except an 80's van. He said he does construction on the side so most likely does not report an earnings to the Feds.

I have no uninsured protection and my car has 1000 dollars worth of damage, mostly cosmetic. My friend did an asset check on him and he has nothing.

Is it worth taking him to small claims eventhough he does not appear to have anything in value or possibly cannot pay it.

I have pictures and police report.

BelizeBreeze

3000GTCSULB said:
What is the name of your state? California

About three months ago I was hit by a drunk driver. He fled the scene but was later on in the night caught by police. The guy has no insurance, no assets except an 80's van. He said he does construction on the side so most likely does not report an earnings to the Feds.

I have no uninsured protection and my car has 1000 dollars worth of damage, mostly cosmetic. My friend did an asset check on him and he has nothing.

Is it worth taking him to small claims eventhough he does not appear to have anything in value or possibly cannot pay it.

I have pictures and police report.
Yes because the judgement will last for 10 years (I believe) and is renewable for another 10. That gives this piece of dirt 20 years to work for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">