• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit and Run?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

State: Texas.

Hello. The vehicle ahead of me was stopped at a red light and I was behind him few feet away completely stopped as well.

I accidentally took off my foot off the brake pedal and hit the vehicle ahead of me which was still stopped and I was going probably about 2-3 mph.

I immediately backed up a little bit and got off the car and so did the driver and passenger. I apologized to the driver and offered to exchange insurance information but he wasn’t interested in that. I had no damage in my car and he also checked. I asked him if I was good to go and he said ok and shook his hand. We both left the scene of premises. Nothing was discussed if anyone was injured.

My concern is that would I be contacted by law enforcement for this incident as hit and run or ask to file a claim?

quincy

It is not a "hit and run" if you hit but didn't run.

You should call your insurance agent to inform the agent of the bump, in case the other driver discovers injuries or damages to his vehicle that were not apparent at the time.

It is not a "hit and run" if you hit but didn't run.

You should call your insurance agent to inform the agent of the bump, in case the other driver discovers injuries or damages to his vehicle that were not apparent at the time.
Oh ok. I will inform my insurance company today. The other driver may or may not have memorized my license plate #. I do not have their license plate #.

So what happens if other party does discover damage to their vehicle and/or an injury? How would they go on about filing a claim since both of us elected not to exchange insurance info?

quincy

A mistake both you and the other driver made was to not exchange contact and insurance information.

Does Texas have both front and rear license plates? Never mind. I see that Texas requires two plates. Michigan only requires a back plate. I asked only to judge the likelihood that the driver wrote down your plate number.

The other driver can file a claim on his own insurance.

Last edited:
A mistake both you and the other driver made was to not exchange contact and insurance information.

Does Texas have both front and rear license plates? Never mind. I see that Texas requires two plates. Michigan only requires a back plate. I asked only to judge the likelihood that the driver wrote down your plate number.

The other driver can file a claim on his own insurance.
Yes, Texas has both front bumper and back license plates. I did not want to force him to exchange insurance info though. If he does have my license plate # then he can file the claim under my insurance? What if he calls the law enforcement later informing them what happened at the accident? If he doesn’t have any of my info then why would he want to file on his own insurance even though it was not his fault?

Since my insurance company will know of the incident from my report. Does that mean they could raise my insurance rates at renewal if the other party never files a claim with my insurance?

quincy

Yes, Texas has both front bumper and back license plates. I did not want to force him to exchange insurance info though. If he does have my license plate # then he can file the claim under my insurance? What if he calls the law enforcement later informing them what happened at the accident? If he doesn’t have any of my info then why would he want to file on his own insurance even though it was not his fault?

Since my insurance company will know of the incident from my report. Does that mean they could raise my insurance rates at renewal if the other party never files a claim with my insurance?
Read your policy. It tells you what you need to do in case of an accident.

If the other driver has none of your contact information and he wants damage to his car repaired, he probably will look to his own insurance.

I want to add details about why this accident occurred.

I accidentally took off my foot off the brake pedal (I heard a loud buzz in my ear, all windows were open so I think it was some kind of a flying insect and I got scared) and hit the vehicle ahead of me which was still stopped and I was going probably about 2-3 mph.

If the other party decides to file a claim then I would be covered for their damages/injuries right based on what I have described as an accident?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">