• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit as pedestrian

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sternc

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I was hit as a pedestrian while crossing the street at an intersection. I suffered several broken bones as well as a separated shoulder. Should I be able to be reimbursed in my suit for out of pocket costs such as insurance co-pays, cab fare to physical therapy (since I was unable to drive due to injuries), the cost of someone to walk my dog and someone to clean my house during the time I was unable to walk? My lawyer is being vague about the answer to this, but others have advised me that I should be able to be reimbursed.

JETX

"Should I be able to be reimbursed in my suit for out of pocket costs such as insurance co-pays"
*** Yes. Considered medical expense.

"cab fare to physical therapy (since I was unable to drive due to injuries)"
*** Possible, could be considered part of personal injury costs.

"the cost of someone to walk my dog and someone to clean my house during the time I was unable to walk?"
*** Of course, you're kidding, aren't you?? If not, the answer is no, not directly.

However, you can ask for damages for anything you want. The real issue is whether they would include them in any settlement.

You should be able to collect reimbursement for your cab fare to your physical therapy, since you were unable to drive. You will need to submit receipts for the fares to prove that you incurred this expense, and your injuries would have to preclude you're being able to drive.

Also, you should be able to recover the out of pocket expense you paid for your dog-walker and for the housekeeping person you had to hire, if your injuries were significant enough to warrant this. Again, you will have to prove via receipts, cancelled checks, etc. that you actually incurred the expense.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I agree with RunningOnEmpty with this one.

Additionally, the amount of your eventual settlement or judgment is directly related to how high you were vaulted into the air at impact.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

lwpat said:
$$$ on the way up and double on the way down with extra $$$ for style.

===================================

My response:

Oh, my God - - that was funny! "Style", I love it!

I can see it now, the sidewalk pedestrians holding up placards - -

9.9 - 9.8 - 9.6 - 9.9 - 9.9 - 9.7

I think we have a gold medal winner!

IAAL

Last edited:
S

sternc

I appreciate the info. I do not appreciate the attempt at humor. This was quite a traumatic incident for me and despite an outstanding sense of humor, I did not find the discussion funny.

HomeGuru

sternc said:
I appreciate the info. I do not appreciate the attempt at humor. This was quite a traumatic incident for me and despite an outstanding sense of humor, I did not find the discussion funny.

**A: then my gawd, you need to be talking more meds. And another dose of laughing gas.
JETX and Running have given you more info than your vague attorney.
Geez man, go walk your dog.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sternc said:

====================================

My response:

Then, during settlement discussions, increase your damages by about $100,000.00. Insurance companies will pay for "funny bones" being broken - - and yours, apparently, was severely damaged.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">