• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit by negligent driver; can't work. ins. company says there is no need for a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kriderg

the short story; my dad has a 1984 Ford van that has been his baby and livelyhood since he bought it. he converted his van into a work vehichle (he is a carpenter) and he drives his own "shop" from job to job. while parked on the side of the road at a job, a 17yr old male driving a 1999 dodge durango approx 30 miles an hour, got distracted and slammed into the back of my dad's van. the van was pushed 10-12 ft forward into the back of another parked truck. the ins. company thinks the cost to repair the entire rearend of the van (the fender is off, the rear doors just hang there-won't shut) is too much. they want to give my dad the value of the van - not much since it's an '84. my dad has now been bumped down to an "apprentice" level, since he has no way to bring his tools with him to work. his livelyhood depends on that vehicle and he will now get "screwed" on an upcoming raise, because it is based on the jobs you do.

This calls for a lawyer doesn't it? The ins. company says that they can come up with something out of court - they just haven't said what yet...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kriderg:
the short story; my dad has a 1984 Ford van that has been his baby and livelyhood since he bought it. he converted his van into a work vehichle (he is a carpenter) and he drives his own "shop" from job to job. while parked on the side of the road at a job, a 17yr old male driving a 1999 dodge durango approx 30 miles an hour, got distracted and slammed into the back of my dad's van. the van was pushed 10-12 ft forward into the back of another parked truck. the ins. company thinks the cost to repair the entire rearend of the van (the fender is off, the rear doors just hang there-won't shut) is too much. they want to give my dad the value of the van - not much since it's an '84. my dad has now been bumped down to an "apprentice" level, since he has no way to bring his tools with him to work. his livelyhood depends on that vehicle and he will now get "screwed" on an upcoming raise, because it is based on the jobs you do.

This calls for a lawyer doesn't it? The ins. company says that they can come up with something out of court - they just haven't said what yet...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, of course, they will come up with something. But, whatever it is, your father will be on the short end of the stick. You can mark my words with that.

Yes, of course, get an attorney for this matter. Your Dad not only lost his "shop" but he has also lost his wages, or partial, and future wages, including raises and promotions.

The insurance company knows the law. You and your father don't. It's the insurance company's job to close claims as cheaply as possible. Even-up the "playing field" and have a pro work out the negotiations, and lawsuit if necessary.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited September 24, 2000).]

K

kriderg

thank god then that he called me today! he has to meet with them on tuesday where the ins. company said they would have some papers drawn up for him to sign.

I/we have never used an attorney before. I guess we are looking for one specialized in accidents?

Is it feasible to ask from the ins. company a rental van/truck or utility vehicle so that he might be able to work in the meantime?

I told my dad not to sign anything. Until we could find someone to talk to about it.

Thank you for your advice!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:

My response:

Yes, of course, they will come up with something. But, whatever it is, your father will be on the short end of the stick. You can mark my words with that.

Yes, of course, get an attorney for this matter. Your Dad not only lost his "shop" but he has also lost his wages, or partial, and future wages, including raises and promotions.

The insurance company knows the law. You and your father don't. It's the insurance company's job to close claims as cheaply as possible. Even-up the "playing field" and have a pro work out the negotiations, and lawsuit if necessary.

IAAL

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kriderg:
thank god then that he called me today! he has to meet with them on tuesday where the ins. company said they would have some papers drawn up for him to sign.

I/we have never used an attorney before. I guess we are looking for one specialized in accidents?

Is it feasible to ask from the ins. company a rental van/truck or utility vehicle so that he might be able to work in the meantime?

I told my dad not to sign anything. Until we could find someone to talk to about it.

Thank you for your advice!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Yes, get an attorney specializing in Personal Injury/Auto Accidents. True, this attorney will cost - - but, it'll be on a "contingency" basis, and your father will obtain all that is legally owed to him.

At the very least, have him go to the insurance company, pick up the papers (DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING) and bring them to an attorney for review and further advice. This is THE safest method for someone who has never dealt with insurance companies. Just tell the insurance company, "I'd like to have my attorney review these documents. I'll get back to you on this very shortly. Thank you".

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

P

peter

YES your dad needs a truck to go to work in, PLUS all thye lost wages and potential lost wages....

Most cases you would not be able to sue for this, but since the truck is his livelyhood you can.

Moist people could take a bus, train or carpool to work, or if they gave you a small renatal car that would be ok for most people, but this affets his paycheck.....

so dont sign anything, or else you can NEVER go back and get more if its to little!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face=" Arial, Verdana, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by peter:
YES your dad needs a truck to go to work in, PLUS all thye lost wages and potential lost wages....

Most cases you would not be able to sue for this, but since the truck is his livelyhood you can.

Moist people could take a bus, train or carpool to work, or if they gave you a small renatal car that would be ok for most people, but this affets his paycheck.....

so dont sign anything, or else you can NEVER go back and get more if its to little!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dear Peter:

1. You didn't say anything more than what I said.

2. You're wrong about lost wage claims because this is his livlihood - - anyone who works can make a lost wage claim.

3. You promised not to make any entries after mine.

4. Now, because you broke your promise, and lied, I'm going to have your entries - - in every category - - removed.

5. Your posts, from now on, will be a waste of your time.

6. I have had it with you, along with everybody else.

7. I can recognize your writing style, and no matter what name you appear under, your entries will be removed.

IAAL

------------------

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited September 24, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">