• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit head on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

modkosht

S.Carolina
I was hit head on almost 2 months ago. Due to no fault of my own. The other driver was ticketed for driving left of the line. I have been seeing a chiropractor since and recently found out that my bill is close to $2500.(They have not released me yet.) The chiropractors office said they don't usually let them get that high, but I'm not feeling "whole" yet. Now I'm worried the insurance company will refuse to pay. Isn't it their responsibility to make sure I am put back like I was before the wreck?
P.S. There are approximately $2000 in other medical expenses not to mention more than $3000 in lost wages.

[Edited by modkosht on 05-14-2001 at 06:49 PM]

L

lawrat

I don't hear any mention of a lawyer. If you had a lawyer, he or she could have gotten this medical care on lien -- it would come out of your total settlement.

http://www.attorneypages.com

M

modkosht

no mention of a lawyer because i haven't retained one. most of the medical bills i have filed under my health care insurance of which i know i will have to reimburse. the chiropractors office said they would send the bill directly to the insurance company she said she would give me a total but that i wouldn't even get a copy of the bill.i fear now with the bills getting so high that they might refuse to pay. thank you for responding lawrat

J

Janrm

Your were hit head-on by the other driver. They are at fault. You are hurt and are still under a doctor's care. How can you even think they will not pay for your medical care? They are responsible for getting you and your vehicle back to "pre-accident" condition. Of course, you will have to hire a lawyer and/or be very firm and smart about handling this claim. Keep a record of all your medical visits and costs. Stop paying for it out of your ins. co.'s pockets. That was a big no-no from the start, but you can reverse it now. It may take hiring a lawyer just to initiate the beginning phases of an agreement. You can agree to hire him for the initial arrangements only. A consultation may be all it takes to find out what you need to do yourself to handle it. Hiring a lawyer does not mean hiring one to walk you through the entire suit. Sometimes they are just needed to "begin the process." The other company does not have to know that your lawyer is a temporary fixture in the process. Best wishes.

M

modkosht

thanks for the reply janrm. i have called a couple of lawyers offices and spoken with individuals there. they all seem to think that since i have handled it on my own this far(the chiropractor will probably release me this week or next)that i should at least continue on my path and see what they offer. they said once the insurance company makes an offer, that if i'm not satisfied then i should see about retaining a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">