• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

hit in the face twice. how much trouble is it worth?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I was headbutted and took a knee to the face. I have been diagnosed with a mild concussion and a possible fracture to the nose. I have 10 witness that saw that I did not start anything. I have a police report charging the man with battery. I want to go to civil court to collect for medical, pain and suffering and punitive damages. I called serveral lawyers from the internet and phone book. Most were not interested, due to the fact that this person may not have money. One lawyer was very helpful and I would like to go with him. However, how do I know he will do the best job for me? And, should i worry about the fact that the guy's girlfriend was telling the police that I started the incident (which I definitely did not). In addition, this guy seemed to know some martial arts or was a bouncer for a bar. Does that make a difference and how would I find out about that. Thank you, signed,
"small victim wanting justice against big bully"

L

lars coltrane

I think you trust your instincts. You said the lawyer was helpful and is interested in taking your case. Hire him. It sounds like he wants to help you.

By the way, there is no formula for hiring a lawyer. You meet a lawyer and if you like him/her, you hire him. Most will do a good job so you have nothing to worry about.

G

gjibe

"Instinct" - sounds good.
No comment on the other issues? Perhaps this lawyer will sort through all that. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Sometimes this internet is truely helpful. Thanks again.

T

Tracey

Your lawyer knows all this, but just for your information:

If the guy's convicted of assaulting you, then he's civilly liable and the only issue in the civil suit will be how much the damages should be. He won't be able to argue that you started it, either, since that will be raised and rejected in the criminal trial too.

However, be prepared to answer questions at the criminal trial about whether you have contemplated a civil suit (yes). This is relevant as "impeaching evidence" and the defense atty will argue that the jury shouldn't believe you because you just want to get money out of the guy. Don't be offended - the defense atty is just doing his job.

Good luck,
Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Your lawyer knows all this, but just for your information:

If the guy's convicted of assaulting you, then he's civilly liable and the only issue in the civil suit will be how much the damages should be. He won't be able to argue that you started it, either, since that will be raised and rejected in the criminal trial too.

However, be prepared to answer questions at the criminal trial about whether you have contemplated a civil suit (yes). This is relevant as "impeaching evidence" and the defense atty will argue that the jury shouldn't believe you because you just want to get money out of the guy. Don't be offended - the defense atty is just doing his job.

Good luck,
Tracey

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Well, not entirely correct. There is a good chance there won't even be a trial. The defendant in this assault and battery "Criminal Case" could enter a plea of "NOLO CONTENDERE," or "NO CONTEST" and if his defense attorney has his "druthers," then that's exactly what will happen. A Nolo plea means the criminal defendant doesn't intend to fight the charges, but he doesn't admit them, either--so it is not quite the same as a confession or plea of "guilty." Such a plea is the same as a guilty plea, in that it will result in conviction and sentencing. The only advantage of such a plea comes further down the road: If a criminal defendant gets sued later for damages in a civil court by the victim, a nolo plea cannot be used as evidence in a civil suit. If there is a guilty plea, on the other hand, the victim may introduce it as evidence that a defendant committed the crime. The advantages of no contest plea are mostly mythical. The "bad guy" will still be treated as if he pled guilty.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 12, 2000).]

T

Tracey

Good point about the nolo plea IAAL. :) We call them Alford pleas up here in Washington, but they're not common. Defendants who enter Alford pleas tend to get significantly longer sentences, since they haven't admitted to and taken responsibility for their actions. Our judges are big on personal responsibility. :)

Tracey

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tracey:
Good point about the nolo plea IAAL. :) We call them Alford pleas up here in Washington, but they're not common. Defendants who enter Alford pleas tend to get significantly longer sentences, since they haven't admitted to and taken responsibility for their actions. Our judges are big on personal responsibility. :)

Tracey

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

What? And California Judges, and D.A.'s, are slouches? Oh, yeah, there was that little fiasco called People vs. Orenthal James Simpson. Perhaps, you are right after all !!

Good to hear from you Tracey.

IAAL

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 13, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">