• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hit & Run Rental car accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GiantHead

What is the name of your state? California

I was turning right off of Ventura Blvd, onto Van Nuys.
A white car hit me from behind and kept going.

I got hurt.

There is no way to get that white car's insurance.

Will Hertz pay my medical bill? I don't have any medical insurance. I can't afford that medical bill.

I'm afraid to ask Hertz.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? California

I was turning right off of Ventura Blvd, onto Van Nuys.
A white car hit me from behind and kept going.

I got hurt.

There is no way to get that white car's insurance.

Will Hertz pay my medical bill? I don't have any medical insurance. I can't afford that medical bill.

I'm afraid to ask Hertz.
It depends on what level of insurance you paid for from them. Did you pay additional for such coverage? If not, why not?

Zigner

I don't know what I have. They asked me if I want collision insurance. I said yes. so I paid about $30.
If you did not pay for personal coverage (the name varies depending on the rental agency), then they won't cover your medical bills. If you did not pay for the damage waiver (again, the name varies depending on the rental agency), then you are also going to be liable for the cost of repair to the rental vehicle.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I don't know what I have. They asked me if I want collision insurance. I said yes. so I paid about $30.
Well, it certainly won't hurt to ask! After all, you've had to talk to them about the damages to the car.

Do you have insurance on a car you own?

Did the credit card you use include any coverage? (Some do.)

If you do not have any medical insurance at all, do you qualify for Medi-Cal?

If you make too much to qualify for Medi-Cal (assuming you live in CA), and you have no health insurance, and are not covered by any insurance policy related to you driving this rental, then yes, you are totally out of luck.

Zigner

Oh, so you DID pay for the supplemental coverages. Then you should be able to take advantage of the benefits they offer. Make sure to notify the rental company as soon as possible, lest they deny coverage based on your delaying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">