• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hitting a bear with rental car without insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Birisi183422

Hi. I live in CA but came to Alaska for vocation.
I rented a car and hit a bear. The car is probably totaled but not sure yet. My own insurance and credit card don’t cover it. I have an insurance from the rental company but it covers the damage to others (in this case the bear but he doesn’t need it) not the car I drive. I thought I paid for the full coverage from the rental company. The employee of the rental company didn’t explain me the differences between coverage options they have. That is why they’ll check the cameras.
It just happened like 12 hours ago.
The car was 2017 Corolla. Msrp would be around 15k.
I work part time and no way for me to pay that amount.
I want to ask you what can I do in this situation?
Thank you.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I want to ask you what can I do in this situation?
Thank you.
You may be stuck having pay the rental car company for the totaled car. Most car rental companies offer the insurance by default (because it is a big money maker for them) and you have to initial the contract to decline each kind of insurance. That means you initial separately if you want to decline the liability insurance, which is what pays for the damage you do to others and initial again if you want to decline the collision insurance, which covers damage that occurs to the rental car itself, whether it was your fault or not. The rental contracts also say that you agree to return the car to the rental agency in the same condition you got it, so even if the damage was not your fault you have to pay for it if you don't have some insurance to cover it. Assuming your car rental contract was set up that way (and I don't know which company you used so I don't how the contract is structured) then if you initialed to decline the collision coverage the rental car agency is going to have a pretty good case to say you have to pay for it. Note that in at least most states the car rental company does not have an affirmative obligation to explain to you each coverage in the contract. It's up to you to know what coverage you need and to arrange for it either with the rental agency or separately through your own insurer, credit card benefits, or whatever.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How do you know that your insurance company and/or your credit card won't cover it?

Just Blue

Boo Boo's dead???! Not Boo Boo!!!!! Freakin' Yogi's fault! If he hadn't sent the little guy on a picnic basket run he wouldn't have been hit by the OP!!!:cry::cry:

Collision coverage is not required by law in Alaska per Alaska Statute 28.22.101. The rental agency would be under no obligations to offer or inform you of it. Also of note in Alaska most rental companies have clauses where all insurance coverage is voided upon driving on gravel or non-paved roads. Get an attorney or be at the mercy of the rental companies dispute process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">