• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA Applicable Late Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HOADelaware

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Delaware

I live in an HOA that has annual dues. Bills are sent out in December for a due date of January 1. However, this year we did not receive a bill. A month later, we received a bill with a late fee. If we didn't receive a bill initially, am I required to pay a late fee? Yes, I know the dues are always required by January 1st but isn't it mandatory that they send a bill???

Thank you

adjusterjack

Yes, I know the dues are always required by January 1st but isn't it mandatory that they send a bill???
There's one way to find out.

Read your CC&Rs and by-laws. Those are the contracts you agreed to when you bought into the HOA.

Read them carefully and thoroughly.

I'm going to take a wild guess that somewhere in them is a provision that they don't have to send you a bill for your annual dues.

FlyingRon

I agree with AJ. You almost certainly are legally required to pay the late fee. Of course, you can call the HOA (or the servicing company) and protest and maybe you can get it waived.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">