• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA board enforces rules randomly

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rmmom

I live in an adult manufactured home park. Been here almost 3 years. For over 2 of those years I have kept a 1 person kayak either in my carport or behind my house. Out of the blue I get a notice left on my deck to remove my "boat" as it is not allowed per the HOA rules. A week later, I am told they are holding a hearing in 10 days to discuss disciplining me since I haven't moved it. The hearing is set for a day I am out of town. I seriously never thought I was violating any rule by having the kayak, especially since no one has said anything all this time. I am wondering if the fact that they did not enforce this rule for so long, if that somehow works in my favor. There are also at least 3 other homes that have kayaks that are visible (although none of them are bothersome in the least). The rules here are enforced rather willy nilly by elderly people with too much time on their hands. More serious situations such as a couple who stand outside screaming at each other in the middle of the night and the drug sales going on that result in almost daily visits by the sheriff have not been dealt with. How my innocent little kayak is worthy of their attention is beyond me! Any suggestions of how I can respond to this stupid request (in writing since I can't attend the meeting which is really too bad- I'd love to talk to these folks in person!)?

HRZ

UNless you want to come home and find some whopping HOA. " fine". In your mailbox I d make arrangements to be there.

ITs not illegal to selectively enforce an odd rule ...but I'd sure present pictures and addresses of every kayak and canoe I could find and make a fuss about total enforcement ..
If one person created your problems he or she might suddenly have a lot of ex friends ?,

quincy

I live in an adult manufactured home park. Been here almost 3 years. For over 2 of those years I have kept a 1 person kayak either in my carport or behind my house. Out of the blue I get a notice left on my deck to remove my "boat" as it is not allowed per the HOA rules. A week later, I am told they are holding a hearing in 10 days to discuss disciplining me since I haven't moved it. The hearing is set for a day I am out of town. I seriously never thought I was violating any rule by having the kayak, especially since no one has said anything all this time. I am wondering if the fact that they did not enforce this rule for so long, if that somehow works in my favor. There are also at least 3 other homes that have kayaks that are visible (although none of them are bothersome in the least). The rules here are enforced rather willy nilly by elderly people with too much time on their hands. More serious situations such as a couple who stand outside screaming at each other in the middle of the night and the drug sales going on that result in almost daily visits by the sheriff have not been dealt with. How my innocent little kayak is worthy of their attention is beyond me! Any suggestions of how I can respond to this stupid request (in writing since I can't attend the meeting which is really too bad- I'd love to talk to these folks in person!)?
What is the name of your state, rmmom?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">