• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA does not abide by state laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

luvfelines

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Homeowners in our neighborhood are having trouble getting the board of directors and management association to abide by North Carolina law General Statutes chapter 47F-1-101, (North Carolina Planned Community Act http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/statutes/generalstatutes/html/bychapter/chapter_47f.html), bylaws, and service agreements.

Specific HOA issues ignored include proper meeting notifications, quorum requirements, budget ratification (pet projects threaten to use up our entire reserves without a vote), and by-law enforcement.

Specific management company issues include failure to attend meetings, return calls, acknowledge letters, provide documents and records, enforce governing documents and perform site visits.

The board and the management company also require community volunteer "committees" to process all architectural requests, provide all community communications, coordinate all work estimates for common areas, coordinate sub-contractor work, and handle any problems in common areas.
How can we get the management company to do its job, or replace it with a better management company?

How can we get our HOA back into working, legal order and get our management company to work for us, without going broke? Individual letters and calls to the board and management association are simply ignored. The HOA has a lawyer, who we have not contacted yet. Would he be simply an agent of the board and management company or would he be legally obliged to help us force them to get back on track? What would be the best way to approach him, if we can do so as individual homeowners?

All ideas are greatly appreciated. THANK YOU!

L

luvfelines

My goodness!

With that kind of response, I would never be your client, buddy! Sorry for posting in error. Have a great day. : )

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: My goodness!

luvfelines said:
With that kind of response, I would never be your client, buddy! Sorry for posting in error. Have a great day. : )

My response:

. . . and we wouldn't have YOU as a client!

Does it really make you wonder, when you post in the wrong forum, can't follow simple directions, and then come back with a smart-ass answer, why you're having the trouble you're having with the HOA?

IAAL

HomeGuru

And writer, don't bother even posting in the real estate forum.
That's my domain and I don't want the likes of you.
signed,

Cat scratch fever

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">