• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA proxy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eatcookiez

What is the name of your state? CA
Can I have proxy for a HOA meeting and still attend the meeting? I have a hard time speaking up which is why I would like proxy to be there to represent me.

adjusterjack

Proxies are generally for voting, not for participating in discussions.

You'll have to read your HOA by-laws to determine if you can have somebody speak for you, other than to just vote.

FlyingRon

AJ is right. Further, even if you grant a proxy, if you decide to attend in person, you can revoke it on the spot in most cases.

festival

In California, the proxy holder must be another member of your association. So yes, you and the proxy holder can both go to the meeting, and the other member can participate.

adjusterjack

In California, the proxy holder must be another member of your association. So yes, you and the proxy holder can both go to the meeting, and the other member can participate.
That works if they both have the same views. Otherwise I envision the following scenario.

Joe gives proxy to Bill. They both go to the meeting. Bill says he wants the pool hours extended. He says Joe doesn't. Bill casts his yes vote and casts Joe's no vote. Seems to be a bit of a waste in there someplace.

:unsure:

FlyingRon

Any member under California law can attend regular or board meetings whether they have given a proxy or not. A member may speak at the member meeting, subject to ordinary parliamentary rules and reasonable time limits established. California law allows the proxy to be revoked anytime until it received by the election inspector.

So yes, under California law even if you give the proxy to another member you can do any or all of these things:
1. Attend the meeting.
2. Speak at the meeting.
3. Revoke the proxy and cast your own vote.

xylene

I have a hard time speaking up
Do ToastMasterz and/or public speaking course at a local adult education facility of community college. Do some talk therapy, maybe even take a presctribed pill for it (lots of people do, there is no shame) and be heard.

Asserting yourself will be required, even if you want them to change the rules to allow you this proxy. Seems easier to to develop the skill to speak out in the first place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">