• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? South Carolina
We decided to put in a driveway extension to the left of our driveway due to now having multiple teenagers who drive and not wanting to park on the street or on the grass due to fines. We have a neighbor in the back of the subdivision whose house is next to another home who did the same thing and she was approved in 1-2 weeks and did not have to go through the same thing we are. So, My husband and I applied for a driveway extension on March 27. We were asked for pictures, which we provided. Then, days later, the committee requested a plat with detailed drawings of what we are doing. We provided those as well. Days later, we were asked to mark utilities, we did. Then they started to complain about the cable box that is adjacent to the property even though the cable company said there was no minimal distance. Then they said that we have to stay 5 feet off the property line, which the neighbor in the back did NOT do...and we are next to WOODS. My last communication was on Monday. The Architectural committee then let us sit all week and today, we recieved an e-mail in the afternoon asking us to get permission from the utilities to put cement ON OUR PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!! Just as an aside....I call the utilities who were dumbfounded and stated they do not give permission for homeowners to do work on their land....this I think clearly shows that some people do not know what they are doing....I then went to C Dan Joyner who is the management company for our subdivision and asked to see the same info that was provided by the neighbor in this neighborhood for the same project. There was nothing.. as they were not asked to provide all of this information. I was then asked for permits.....which we do not have to have as there is no structure going up on the driveway. Today, I was asked to write a letter that states that we are responsible for damage to utilities on our property!!! Now, It is very obvious at this point that the Architectural committee is on some sort of power trip and is going to drag this out as long as they can. THANK GOD the Covenants and restrictions of the neighborhood state that after 45 days, we can go ahead without them. NO ONE in the history of our neighborhood has ever waited longer that 2 weeks for ANY kind of approval and as a past member of this very committee, I know what I am talking about. It is my understanding that we cannot legally be denied as someone else was already approved for the same thing. I was under the impression that treatment has to be fair and equal and it is not. So if we get approved, we will pour the cement. If we get neither approval or denial, we can and will pour cement on day 45. I want to know what my legal options are if they deny us. I want to go ahead anyway and place the driveway but hubby says that they can fine us and that it can add up.


Senior Member
Since you can pour the driveway after 45 days regardless of what the HOA is doing, then you have nothing to sue for if that's what you are asking, and the delay isn't worth a nickel to you.

If you don't like how the board and its minions run the HOA, then get together with like minded homeowners, vote them out, and vote in a new board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential