• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

holding a contest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

worthspending

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
I am working to raise money for a local business owner who is a single mom. I am looking for people to donate a hand made craft. The donated hand made crafts will in turn be placed on the internet looking for people to donate a gift card at a building supply store in exchange for the craft. I have a company that has offered a prize of 75.00 in the form of a gift card to the person or group that produces the best craft. The winner is decided by a vote from a community.

This is 100 percent for charity. Not for profit. I am a citizen trying to raise money to buy building materials to help this mom. This is a one time event and one time contest.

What laws would I be breaking? If not legal, then, what hoops should I jump through to make this legal?

FlyingRon

If you must fork over something tangible for a chance at a prize, it's called an illegal lottery. Just because it's for a good cause doesn't make it a legitimate charity that might escape the lottery laws.

If you ares soliciting donations and then selling them, then that's different.

worthspending

What we are doing is soliciting donations of hand made knitted and crocheted items. We will take the items and find people that will exchange the hand made item for a gift card at a place that sells building materials. As I understand it, that is perfectly legal. Right? One of the people involved suggested offering a prize to the best hand made item. That is an illegal lottery. Right?

Just wanted to confirm what we are doing without the prize is legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">