• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holding a municipality accountable - Collapsing storm drain causing damage to my home - Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Indiana requires advance notice of a problem. In the form below, there is information on immunity and when it can apply.

Notice of tort claim form: https://forms.in.gov/Download.aspx?id=9840

Although Florida is in the news with some frequency for their massive house-swallowing sink holes, the Midwest has their share of sewer and water main collapses because of their aging infrastructures.

Most of the sinkholes occur on streets and highways, however, and are less likely to affect homes. These have become an issue in Indiana in recent years - and drivers have sued the city/state (with mixed results).

Last edited:

Do you have proof you informed them of the problem 5 years ago?
Unfortunately no. 5 years ago the senior employee of the water department ran a camera through the drain and told my wife and I, “the storm drain is collapsing under your house. They need to do something about that.”

quincy

Unfortunately no. 5 years ago the senior employee of the water department ran a camera through the drain and told my wife and I, “the storm drain is collapsing under your house. They need to do something about that.”
Did you follow up with the water department? You might want to see if you can get a copy of the water department report from 5 years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">