• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holiday pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What is the name of your state? Massachusetts, but this post applies to all states.

Since there is a holiday coming up this weekend, and since these questions invariably get asked at least twice before and after every holiday, I thought I'd forestall the inevitable and answer them now.

1.) No, your employer is not required to give you Monday off. Nothing in the law requires that you get any given holiday off, even if it is a so-called "Federal" holiday.

2.) No, if you work on the holiday, your employer is not required to pay you at time and a half or double time or anything else but straight time. The sole exception to this is if you are in Massachusetts AND you are in the retail industry AND you work on one of six specified holidays, of which, I grant you, Monday is one.

3.) No, if you have the holiday off and get paid for 8 hours holiday pay, that time does NOT count towards overtime calculations.

Everyone clear now?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Even when the inevitable happens and they disregard this and ask the questions anyway, we can just provide a link to this thread instead of answering them all over again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">