• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holiday Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lvpackerfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

My employer pays for thanksgiving and Christmas as holiday pay because we are closed. Our employee handbook says that if we would be regularly scheduled to work on the day of the week the holiday falls on we get paid. What happens if I ask off for the day before, christmas and the day after christmas without pay (my normal schedule is M-F) does my employer have to pay me for Christmas or do I not get paid because I am asking for these days off?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The following presumes that you are a non-exempt employee.

It is entirely up to your employer. The law does not require that you be paid for holidays at all - it is the right of the employer to determine the terms on which it will and will not be paid.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">