• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Holiday vs Religious Holiday

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SESmama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Even Lexis Nexis (or any other site I look at) has nothing on this so I have to ask. I am only asking because of family plans and not to insert myself into the emails going back and forth but it does affect my child as well.

Hanukkah night falls on Christmas Eve this year. Dad gets every year Christmas Eve but mom gets first night Hanukkah (I know, this would not be first night)

Hubby has requested a change so the boys will spend that night with mom (her religion, Dad is aethiest) but she has yet to answer.

Question is, which legally overrides? Just in case I have to switch plans so quickly

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Uumm... The first night of Hanukkah was the 16th. The 8th (last) night is the 23rd, not Christmas Eve, I believe.

I'm not understanding what plans you would need to change.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Even Lexis Nexis (or any other site I look at) has nothing on this so I have to ask. I am only asking because of family plans and not to insert myself into the emails going back and forth but it does affect my child as well.

Hanukkah night falls on Christmas Eve this year. Dad gets every year Christmas Eve but mom gets first night Hanukkah (I know, this would not be first night)

Hubby has requested a change so the boys will spend that night with mom (her religion, Dad is aethiest) but she has yet to answer.

Question is, which legally overrides? Just in case I have to switch plans so quickly
In any event, Mom is under no obligation to take the night Dad offers.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Per my expert source, I am mistaken. Mea Culpa.

ETA - Taking it back! Double checked and was told she miscounted days! 23rd is the last NIGHT.

So tell hubby to give the ex the night of the 23rd, and he still can have Christmas Eve. Though she doesn't have to take that, either.

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
As I have learned tonight... google is not always your friend. :( Thought I could count on the Goog...

SESmama

I realize mom does not have to take the offer from dad. I stay out of it. BUT we usually have some sort of family get together with my family and they want to see the boys. In addition, I have family members that would like to see the boys before they go their merry ways.

In any case, I was just wondering since they are both technically holidays

PP:
Jewish Holidays: From 5:00 p.m. until the conclusions of the holiday at sundown or 8:00 p.m. which ever is later. (usually the following day)
*Rosh Hashanah - Erev Rosh Hashanah & First Day
*Yom Kiipur - Kol Nidre
*Chanukah - The First Night and Mother's Family Chanukah Party
*Passover - The First Night and The Second Night during which time the Mother's Family will have their Sedar

Christmas "A": From the time that school recesses for the holiday until Christmas Day at 8:30pm Even and Odd years - Father
Christmas "B": From 7:00 pm on Christmas Day until January 1st at 7:00 pm Even and Odd Years - Mother
Christmas "C": From 7:00 pm on January 1st until two (2) day before school resumes Even and Odd Years - Father

One other reason for the need is the fact that the eldest has severe food allergies (whey protein - any dairy, shellfish, tree nuts, eggs) and I need to plan a menu as do my family members for when he will be here.

Interpretations? And thanks for not raking me over the coals. Just trying to plan.

Of course dad could take the boys at the end of the Chanukah ceremony on Dec 24 but that gets them here kind of late so I see his point.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">