• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

holiday??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AWILCZ

What is the name of your state?IL :confused:

ok got divorced, had shared custody, no custodial parent...was fine for 5 yrs. ex decided to lose his mind sooo here we are...we settled on m,t,th..with me, wed nites with him and to be fair to the kids since we've had complete 50/50 i said was ok for him to have 2 out of 3 weekends so the kids think its fair also. Also we have alternating holidays....this morning---veterans day...he says he is picking them up at 10am since it is a holiday...our agreement just says holidays. not school holidays...he went to the police who didnt know what to say but called me and agreed for him to pick them up at 6pm since it is kind of iffy...personally all i know about this is if we alternate holidays it would be like trading martin luther king day for easter?? it makes no sense if ppl all over the country went with all school holidays...soooo am i correct here that unless stated the court considers holidays to be alternated as easter, memorial day, 4th of july, labor day, thanksgiving, xmas(shared actually) and new years??? or am i out of line?

also...one more question---as i stated above i agreed he could have 2 out of 3 weekends but his lawyer was an idiot and stated that i get 2 out of 3...i have just let this go and let him have his 2 out of 3 and now that he is threatening me, going to the police, calling me names and above all else manipulating the kids which makes me sick and frustrated considering i let child support go also and i pay for everyyyyyything, since he has no job, lives with his sister, no car and no d.l....sooo my question is if it was filed in the court that i get the 2 out of 3 can i yank his chain back legally?
any answers would be appreciated

Zephyr

.sooo my question is if it was filed in the court that i get the 2 out of 3 can i yank his chain back legally?

the court order is the court order, one certainly can't be faulted for following it :cool:

AWILCZ

IL---what do you think about the holiday thing? am i right or do they actually count veterans day, martin luther king day, presidents day?? i dont know but that doesnt make much sense to me but im not a judge or a lawyer

Zephyr

not sure, my order states I get my son at every day off of school, but it doesn't specify those little holidays, you guys may end up in court over interpretation

CJane

I'm pretty sure that 'holidays' are the big ones... Easter, Xmas, TGiving, New Years, etc. Halloween isn't usually a 'recognized' holiday even. HOWEVER, it would apparently be a good idea to have things spelled out a LOT more clearly.

nextwife

Our PUBLIC school is also CLOSED Rosh Hashonah & Yom Kippur because of the high rate of absence. It's called Fall Break Days. And then there are always the two days in October that school is closed for Teacher's Conventions. And our school IS closed MLK Jr Day.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If this weekend is his time, and it's a long w/e due to a school holiday, it would properly be his time as well.

Colorado here...it seems ridiculous when you do it, but the more specific you are, the less debates you will have. Even though our agreement defines whether the holiday is a "day" or "week-end", my ex always "forgets" and says she thought it was.....(whatever fits her plans). If you start "trading" one for the other "this year" to please your ex....you will open a can of worms that you will regret....just some advise from a veteran.

Here is that paragraph from my 'shared parenting" agreement:

Additionally, the parties shall alternate holidays with the child, the Petitioner (me,Dad) to have,generally, in odd-numbered years: Easter Sunday, July 4th, Thanksgiving Thursday and Friday, Christmas Eve Day and Evening until 9:00pm, and New Year's Eve Day and Evening until 10:00am New Year's Day,...........
and in even-numbered years: New Year's Day, from 10:00am, Memorial Day Weekend, Labor Day Weekend, the Saturday and Sunday of Thanksgiving Weekend, and Christmas Day, from 9:00pm Christmas Eve. Respondent (mom) shall have the opposite schedule. The child's birthday and Halloween will be split days, to the extent possible. Petitioner shall have the child each Father's Day, and Respondent shall have the child each Mother's Day. Holiday schedules will take priority over all other schedules.

That is it.....if it does not cover it in this section, it is assumed nothing changes. (Vet Day..no) (No school today...no) etc. Used this for 10 years and we are both still alive..........

casa

AWILCZ said:
What is the name of your state?IL :confused:

ok got divorced, had shared custody, no custodial parent...was fine for 5 yrs. ex decided to lose his mind sooo here we are...we settled on m,t,th..with me, wed nites with him and to be fair to the kids since we've had complete 50/50 i said was ok for him to have 2 out of 3 weekends so the kids think its fair also. Also we have alternating holidays....this morning---veterans day...he says he is picking them up at 10am since it is a holiday...our agreement just says holidays. not school holidays...he went to the police who didnt know what to say but called me and agreed for him to pick them up at 6pm since it is kind of iffy...personally all i know about this is if we alternate holidays it would be like trading martin luther king day for easter?? it makes no sense if ppl all over the country went with all school holidays...soooo am i correct here that unless stated the court considers holidays to be alternated as easter, memorial day, 4th of july, labor day, thanksgiving, xmas(shared actually) and new years??? or am i out of line?

also...one more question---as i stated above i agreed he could have 2 out of 3 weekends but his lawyer was an idiot and stated that i get 2 out of 3...i have just let this go and let him have his 2 out of 3 and now that he is threatening me, going to the police, calling me names and above all else manipulating the kids which makes me sick and frustrated considering i let child support go also and i pay for everyyyyyything, since he has no job, lives with his sister, no car and no d.l....sooo my question is if it was filed in the court that i get the 2 out of 3 can i yank his chain back legally?
any answers would be appreciated
School holidays which fall on Fri. or Mon. belong to whatever parent has that weekend. So...if it's your wknd, it's your day today & vice-versa.

Holidays (Easter, Christmas etc.) supercede weekend visitation- so if a 'Holiday' falls on a weekend, the children are with whatever parent has that holiday that year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">