• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home appliance warranty dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

matt-of-sd

What is the name of your state?San Diego, CA.

Hi,

I recently made a service claim against my home appliance warranty contract due to a problem I had with my built-in refrigerator. The contract I purchased supposedly provides comprehensive coverage including refrigerator as well as the icemaker. When the first technician came, he diagnosed that the problem is likely due to a defective control computer circuit board in the front panel which causes intermittent flashing of various alarm code as well as not sending the proper signal to engage the solenoid when the cubed/crushed buttons are pushed. He recommendation is to replace the circuit board. However, the insurance company sent another technican back and performed a 2nd opinion diagnosis, and although he indicated that the same circuit is likely faulty, since there is no alarm code flashing, he could only confirm that the problem only affects the ice selection. The insurance then informed me the failure is not covered since it doesn't affect the "operation" of the refrigerator. I talked with three service representatives of whom two were supervisors, and to no avail. They kept referring to the fact even though the circuit board is defective, it's not affecting the "operation" of the refrigerator, that is, the cooling of the unit. I am completely puzzled by their interpretation of "operation" for which a lay person like myself would construe to imply all the functions that the unit is designed to perform, and this circuit board is an integral part of this refrigeration, and if it exhibits symptoms of failure of any sort, shouldn't they be obligated to repair or replace it?

What I have found from the web is that this company has a history of qualifying the wording of their contract to get themselves off service claims. Could this be considered as bad faith, and if so, how could I proceed to resolve the matter? Appreciate any feedback and suggestion. Thanks!

- matt

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">