• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home built on another person's property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hanks

IllinoisWhat is the name of your state?

I bought 2 houses in rural Southern Illinois 3 years ago on the Ohio river.
One is to be a rental and the other is a 2nd home. My primary residence is in Ky.accross the Ohio River.
My neighbor bought his property 1 year ago.He tells me that the back corner of my home was built on his land.
He does not threaten to do anything about it, but uses it as "bragging rights" ploy.
The subject appears to be one of his favorites. It's repeatedly brought up by him and another
neighbor. We have a close neighborhood and all the people get together each night to socialize.
I really am tired of this subject being broached, time and time again.
My deed shows property lines and from what I can ascertain from these boundaries,
my house may indeed be on the back corner on his property.
My original neighbor died last year and sold his property to this person during his illness.

My question is: I bought my property in good faith, 3rs ago. 1)Can this person, owner 2 yr, do anything legally to attempt to
take posssesion of my property. Or/2)Force me to remove or tear down a portion of my home.Or/3) Look for some monetary reparations $$$.
4) what does the law in Illinois say to property lines, fences, and structures built on property.
On a lighter note: May I kick his ass? I find myself having less and less patience with this "Mouth".

Help!
Hanks

Excuse me, YOU are outraged? Hmmm seems he is the one who holds all the strings and from what you state he is telling the truth. I'd be a little nicer if I were you as he can cost you a whole lot of money on this one!

maryks

You could get a surveyor to take a look at it ($$$ and an angry neighbor who may well hold the power here). Depending on how far on the other property it may sit, and how much land is with each, you might want to ask him for a sale of that piece of ground in dispute, or a trade for a different corner of yours.

But your very best bet is to call your title ins company and explain the situation, then let them take care of it.

Orcons

Check Adverse Possession

How old is your house? Check how long you need for adverse possession in your state.

If your house was built long enough ago that you have met the time limit for adverse possession you should be able to bring an action to claim the land on which your house sits. If not, your neighbor can probably bring an action against you for trespass. The courts would decide if you have to remove the portion of the house on his land. If you don't have an adverse possession claim, you should consider the previous advice about offerring to buy the land or swap for other land.

HomeGuru

hanks said:
IllinoisWhat is the name of your state?

I bought 2 houses in rural Southern Illinois 3 years ago on the Ohio river.
One is to be a rental and the other is a 2nd home. My primary residence is in Ky.accross the Ohio River.
My neighbor bought his property 1 year ago.He tells me that the back corner of my home was built on his land.
He does not threaten to do anything about it, but uses it as "bragging rights" ploy.
The subject appears to be one of his favorites. It's repeatedly brought up by him and another
neighbor. We have a close neighborhood and all the people get together each night to socialize.
I really am tired of this subject being broached, time and time again.
My deed shows property lines and from what I can ascertain from these boundaries,
my house may indeed be on the back corner on his property.
My original neighbor died last year and sold his property to this person during his illness.

My question is: I bought my property in good faith, 3rs ago. 1)Can this person, owner 2 yr, do anything legally to attempt to
take posssesion of my property. Or/2)Force me to remove or tear down a portion of my home.Or/3) Look for some monetary reparations $$$.
4) what does the law in Illinois say to property lines, fences, and structures built on property.
On a lighter note: May I kick his ass? I find myself having less and less patience with this "Mouth".

Help!
Hanks

**A: when you order a current survey, post back with the results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">