• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home in foreclosure. Do I have to notify mortgage provider if

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Now Karl, so you have a question?
Thank you. So much for trying to be succinct. :) Or too succinct!! That said it does give me opportunity to explain a little more. My house has been in foreclosure for 9 years. In negotiations with bank for 3, 1 year to get to court and get dismissal. 2 to go back to court and get summary judgment in my favor. They have not appealed in 3 years and impossible to know when will.
Meanwhile I’ve not made payments in all those years and still not. They paid insurance up until 2 years ago and finally dropped it. I could’ve renewed but didn’t thinking they would be foreclosing soon. But there’s been radio silence. That’s the set up. Heres the question. If I get homeowners insurance do I have disclose to them who my mortgage provider is? Not for nefarious reasons in an way. I’ve talked to an attorney regarding what he may think is happening after all these years and he thinks I’m probably lost in the system. So I don’t want to poke the sleeping bear unless I have to.

Just Blue

Thank you. So much for trying to be succinct. :) Or too succinct!! That said it does give me opportunity to explain a little more. My house has been in foreclosure for 9 years. In negotiations with bank for 3, 1 year to get to court and get dismissal. 2 to go back to court and get summary judgment in my favor. They have not appealed in 3 years and impossible to know when will.
Meanwhile I’ve not made payments in all those years and still not. They paid insurance up until 2 years ago and finally dropped it. I could’ve renewed but didn’t thinking they would be foreclosing soon. But there’s been radio silence. That’s the set up. Heres the question. If I get homeowners insurance do I have disclose to them who my mortgage provider is? Not for nefarious reasons in an way. I’ve talked to an attorney regarding what he may think is happening after all these years and he thinks I’m probably lost in the system. So I don’t want to poke the sleeping bear unless I have to.
What state?

quincy

I agree with your attorney. You appear to be lost in the system.

It is not smart to not have insurance on your home so I suggest you speak again with an attorney to see how best to insure your property.

Are you paying the property taxes?

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If I get homeowners insurance do I have disclose to them who my mortgage provider is?
Read your loan contract. If it requires that you provide that information then you'd be in breach of contract for not doing it. Of course, since you've not paid your mortgage you are already in breach of contract so you'd probably not be any worse off.

It is not smart to not have insurance on your home so I suggest you speak again with an attorney to see how best to insure your property.

Unfortunately I don’t have an attorney. The one i previously used is no longer in practice.

Unfortunately I don’t have an attorney. The one i previously used is no longer in practice. The one I called was from a for a 15 minute free consult. Not to say I couldn’t call him again but I don’t want to take advantage of his free time. I could see if he’ll let me get free advice again or I could do same with a different lawyer. He didn’t see any reason to hire him to do detective work but we didn’t talk about insurance. I’m not averse to hiring one but not sure how to do so for one question.

Yes it scares crap out of me if nothing from a liability standpoint.

We did not pay taxes but we are getting ready to We’ve talked with prop tax accessor and tax certificates were bought by someone but we have 2 years to pay. We are going to
The one I called was from a for a 15 minute free consult. Not to say I couldn’t call him again but I don’t want to take advantage of his free time. I could see if he’ll let me get free advice again or I could do same with a different lawyer. He didn’t see any reason to hire him to do detective work but we didn’t talk about insurance. I’m not averse to hiring one but how do I do that for just one question?

Yes it scares crap out of me not having insurance if nothing else from a liability standpoint.

We have not paid taxes but are not technically past due. We‘ve talked with prop tax accessor and they said tax certificates were bought by someone but we have 2 years to pay and it’s only been a year. But at this point weI’ve decided to pay and keep up to date.

Read your loan contract. If it requires that you provide that information then you'd be in breach of contract for not doing it. Of course, since you've not paid your mortgage you are already in breach of contract so you'd probably not be any worse off.
Yes it requires it. And I want to get it. I just don’t want to let them know. I want no contact with them whatsoever. Wherever my file is I don’t anybody snooping around and finding it. I imagine they’ll start an appeal if they do.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Yes it requires it. And I want to get it. I just don’t want to let them know. I want no contact with them whatsoever. Wherever my file is I don’t anybody snooping around and finding it. I imagine they’ll start an appeal if they do.
It's almost certainly too late for any new appeal. Appeals generally have to be filed within a pretty short period of time (e.g. 30 days). What the lender would likely have to do is file a new action to foreclose. Whether or not you tell the lender get the insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">