• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Inspection Report - Proof of Gross Negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clocke426

Florida.
Prior to purchasing a (then) 10-year-old house in SW Florida, we contractually hired an inspection company to complete a 'wind mitigation' report for insurance purposes, and to verify whether or not the windows and doors were hurricane impact-rated, which is what the real estate description stated. The report, as completed by a certified inspector, concluded that all 30 windows, doors and sliders were indeed impact-rated. Based on those conclusions, we purchased the house at a price that reflected the inclusion of impact-rated windows/doors. Within a year after buying, based on suspicions, I had the same inspection company come out to take another look at the windows/doors. After a second inspection they admitted to me, and eventually to the State, that their initial report was wrong. Not one of the windows or doors are impact-rated! NOT ONE! They are, instead, made of tempered glass with no impact rating. 'Tempered glass' is clearly stamped on the windows as well as the manufacturer's labels on the frames. The cost to replace all windows and doors for impact-rated units is roughly $50,000. Which means we lost $50,000 in equity by paying for impact windows that don't exist. Had I known, I never would have purchased the house, much less stayed in it with a false sense of enhanced security during Hurricane Irma. I now have a lawyer and we're going to arbitration with the inspector's insurance company (they won't do mitigation). My lawyer says I need to prove 'gross negligence' to win my case. The inspection company called it a slight oversight and not gross negligence. I don't believe the inspector meant to falsify the report and cause us harm. I believe he just totally screwed up! He is now under investigation by the Florida Dept. of Business & Professional Regulation. My question is, what claim of gross negligence can I use or prove in order to win my case? Is it enough that he misidentified every single window and door? Is it enough that he cost us $50k, and that we wouldn't have bought the house if the report had been accurate? Your insight is appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
In light of the fact that you are represented, it would be irresponsible for us to offer advice. Talk to your attorney.

adjusterjack

My lawyer says I need to prove 'gross negligence' to win my case.
That doesn't make sense. According to Florida statutes, proving "gross negligence" is necessary if you are seeking punitive damages. Punitive damages is an amount above and beyond compensatory damages.

Florida statute 768.72 defines "gross negligence" to mean

"that the defendant’s conduct was so reckless or wanting in care that it constituted a conscious disregard or indifference to the life, safety, or rights of persons exposed to such conduct."
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0768/Sections/0768.72.html
Frankly, I don't see "gross negligence" here.

Seems to me that you would only have to prove negligence to obtain compensatory damages. The statute doesn't define general or ordinary negligence but the Florida Jury Instructions do.

402.5 OTHER PROFESSIONAL NEGLIGENCE
Negligence is the failure to use reasonable care. Reasonable care on the part of a
(identify professional) is the care that a reasonably careful (identify professional) would use under like circumstances. Negligence is doing something that a reasonably careful (identify professional) would not do under like circumstances or failing to do something that a reasonably careful (identify professional) would do under like circumstances.

402.6 LEGAL CAUSE
a. Legal cause generally:
Negligence is a legal cause of [loss] [injury] [or] [damage] if it directly and in natural and continuous sequence produces or contributes substantially to producing such [loss] [injury] [or] [damage], so that it can reasonably be said that, but for the negligence, the [loss] [injury] [or] [damage] would not have occurred.

https://jury.flcourts.org/civil-jury-instructions-home/civil-instructions/#402
Now that I've probably confused you, it's time to go back to your lawyer.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I wonder if the agreement the OP signed included a waiver of some sort...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">