• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Insurance and Hail Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

laundryboy

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Utah.

We experienced a huge hailstorm last Fall in our Northern Utah town, and we contacted our insurance company to have an adjuster come and look at our home. We had visible damage to screens and window trim, frames and gutters, and a plastic storage cabinet, but did not know about our roof. They had a local fire and flood restoration company (whom they said were a preferred/certified contractor with them) come and look at our home. The young man from the restoration company stated there was minimal damage to the roof, just a ridge cap and a couple vents...and damage to a lot of windows (glaze bead/trim/screens). I was a little concerned because they were not a roofing company, but I took our insurance companies word that this restoration company they liked to use had been certified in being able to look at this type of thing.

Also at that time there were a lot of "storm chasers" in the neighborhood, and one got up on our roof and told us it was one of the worst he had seen. We sort of discounted that, because it seemed shady at the time and the restoration company had told us otherwise.

However; this Spring, we noticed that almost every single house in our neighborhood, including every single neighbor around us were getting new roofs. Some were being done by local companies, and some by a couple of the different "storm chaser" companies. We expressed our concerns to the restoration company about this, and they sent their roofing subcontractor to look at our roof and schedule the ridge cap and vent work, and their subcontractor stated our roof was fine (after being up on it for only 5 minutes) and then launched into a presentation- complete with a video- about his product, RoofMax, a spray on shingle life extender, and wanted to give us a quote! That seemed wrong to us. We told him no and did not schedule with him to do the small repairs either.

We then called a highly recommended, well respected, local roofer to come and inspect our roof. Upon inspection, they stated we had quite a bit of damage and should really contact our insurance again for a reinspection. We did so, and our insurance company hired an independent field inspector. This field inspector found that we had significant damage, to the point of water penetration in some areas. He sent everything to our insurance adjuster.

After a couple weeks and a few phone calls to her, she is now stating they are hiring an engineering company to come up from Salt Lake to look at our roof. I am concerned our insurance company is looking for someone that will tell them we have no damage, and if this engineering firm does, what is my recourse if I have damage? We have an experienced local roofer and an independent field inspector (hired by our insurance company) stating there is significant damage. Every house around me, not kidding, has gotten or is in the process of getting a new roof. I am really concerned about the process our insurance company has used and is using. They are a national firm and well known.

Any suggestions? I would really appreciate any advice.

Last edited:

adjusterjack

We then called a highly recommended, well respected, local roofer to come and inspect our roof. Upon inspection, they stated we had quite a bit of damage and should really contact our insurance again for a reinspection.
Call this roofer and have him get back up on the roof with your digital camera or camera phone and take lots and lots of photos showing the damage. I suggest you also go up the ladder and see for yourself. You might not be capable of climbing on to the roof but if you have extensive damage it will be visible from the top of the ladder. It's not rocket science to see hail damage. Take a look at these photos.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=hail+damage+to+shingles&iax=images&ia=images

You'll be able to see that from the top of the ladder.

Once you have the photos you'll be in a better position to talk to adjusters, roofers, and engineers.

Beyond that, you'll just have to wait and see.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">