• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Insurance/Quit Claim/EX

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

StarShineMoon

I live in Illinois. Recently my ex husband, after 7 yrs of divorce, turned over our home to me with a quit claim deed. I immediately filed the quit claim, and refinanced in my name. I went immediately to the insurance company to get his name dropped from the home owners insurance, they said they need him to sign some papers which they sent to him. Here it is over a month, I have refinanced in MY name, but his name is still on the insurance because he hasnt signed the papers yet. My fiance's ex got his name dropped from their home insurance shortly after the divorce, without his signature, his name was still part owner of the home when there was a 'fire' and she got a bundle and he got nothing, and they wouldnt even give him any information. So why am I having so much trouble getting my ex removed from the home insurance, and my fiance's ex was able to screw him over?! Does my fiance have any recourse if his signature was needed to have him removed from the insurance? I just want my ex erased from all this legally.
Thankyou for any help and info,

Last edited:

D

Donna32669

Ex/Home Insurance

I can tell you that in Florida a copy of the papers, both the ones from the Court awarding you the home and th quit claim deed would be sufficient for me to approve removal of the spouse. He has NO INSURABLE INTEREST. Ask your agent to review this with the underwriter, and on what basis they feel he should remain on the policy. If your divorce is final, and he is not a resident of the home, and has no interest I think they are wrong. This is my opinion, but it is something that I deal with daily as an underwriter. Concerning your fiance ex, that is exactly why a copy of the quit claim is required in lieu of a signature. Then there is no doubt that all owners interests are protected. I don't know if he has a case, or who it is against. I would talk to an attorney about it, depending on what was owed on the mortgage...and the terms of their divorce settlement could she be in violation of the agreement? Maybe, he should take her to court. I just can't advise on that are and won't pretend to know the law, just the
insurance part. Best of luck to you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">