• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

ybonet

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

There was a storm 2 weeks ago and a shingle from my next door neighbors house hit my car and caused $700 damage. Their insurance is saying it's an "Act of God" and won't pay. The shingle had been falling off prior to the storm, so it could be called negligence. How should I proceed?

tammy8

This would be covered under YOUR comprehensive insurance under YOUR auto policy. Comp is an act of God which includes falling objects. You would need to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the condition of neighbor's roof prior to storm. Unless you have pictures than you really have no proof. Sorry to tell you this but that is the reason to carry full coverage on your auto.

Call your company and if they decide to proced then you may get your deductible back. Never have I known a company to fight another company on a $700 claim. You might get lucky but dont' count on it. Your last option is small claims court but again the burden of the proof is going to be on you. Good luck to you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">