• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Left in Shambles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smile2000

What is the name of your state? Texas

I have a house that I was going to rent as a residential. It can also be rented out as a commercial.

I had an acquaintance that shared he was having trouble with the landlord at his existing place he was renting a commercial space from as a office for his counseling practice.

I told him about my house and offered to let him come see it if he liked it and thought he could use it for his office we would work out a contract to lease it from me.

A few days later he came with his wife and walked through my house. They both seemed to like it and were envisioning how to layout his office, asked if they could paint, or change the existing layout, remove light fixtures, etc.

At this point I told them if they didn't like the house it was ok they weren't under any obligation to rent it if they didn't like it. They assured me that they did but, wanted to change the look of their office to make it more personal and aesthetically pleasing to themselves and their clients.

I had no plans to renovate my house because it was move-in ready but, I understood the idea of creating the office area for his counseling practice.

Although we did not sign an agreement on paper, there was an expressed contract between us. He offered to pay me $2400 a month, renovate the space, and move in by October 1st. I in return agreed to not charge him rent or a deposit between the time he began renovations to the date he was to move in which was October 1st.

He began renovations the second week of August.

To make a long story short, October 1st came around, the inside of my house is completely bare, unuseful, and he has since decided to disappear and move his practice into his own home.

Has not paid me one cent, or kept his word as per our agreement.

What do I do?
Really stuck here.

Gail in Georgia

I agree with what adjusterjack has recommended.

In addition, a good rule of thumb is to never let a tenant do any type of "remodeling" on a property that is not theirs. Even something as simple as painting. The only painting a tenant should be allowed to do is painting their own toenails and even that is questionable.

Gail

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">