• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Owner Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Misinformed?

I have rental property and the renter notified me of a problem. I called a plumber who said they would need to run a camera down the pipe to locate the problem and then repair. They told me to get a second oppinion which I did and it came back the same.

I called my insurance agent who said she needed to speak with an adjuster before she gave me the "ya or nah" answer. She spoke to him and he told her the damage done to the house to repair the pipe would be finished, But the replacing of the pipe and the time it took to do that would not be covered. I asked her if I needed to wait until the adjuster went to the home and she said "no". The agent also spoke to the plumber and told him he could start the work on Monday.

To make a long story short, they are now saying (after work has been done) that it is not cover because the damage is in a drain line and drains are not covered? What re-course do I have??

D

Donna32669

Misinformed

I am unclear from your post, was there damage caused to the dwelling because of the broken pipe? If so, what and is the insurer paying for the damage? You need to read your policy and review the section concerning "Covered Perils", and the Exclusions as well. Usually simple bursting of pipes, caused by age or pressure of water is not covered, but the ensuing damage would be (example, the pipe breaks and floods inside the home. They WILL pay for the damged floor by water etc, but not the pipe). However, if the leak occured over a period of time and should have been repaired earlier, which would have prevented the damge...it is possible to deny any coverage. (ie, pipe under the kitchen sink leaks, it is allowed to go on for a time without repair and ultimately there will be rotting, this is not covered).

tammy8

Would you have not made the repairs anyway whether or not this had been covered? Maybe because this could have been repaired eariler (such as Donna said) is the reason your claim is denied.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">