• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Home Owner Insurance - Dual Coverage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

P8yton

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Virginia

I recently bought a new home. Within the first month I decided to take out a new homeowner policy with another company, but had not canceled my old policy yet. I have receive of a binder taht started 2 days prior to Hurricane Isabel. My home took a tree - $30 to $50K in damage.

I filed with my old Company - where do I legally stand. Am I legally obligated to tell the 1st company I had started a new policy? If I file against both companies will there be subrogation?

Please help - consulting an attorney friend as well.

P

P8yton

HomeOwner Insurance - Dual coverage

The question is both leagal and obligation.

Which company am I suppoded to file under - the most recent that has just covered me or the old one. Am I obligated under the law to tell the first company that I have other insurance now? I am not interested in double-dipping - I just don't want recourse later.

If you are not interested in double-dipping and this is just an honest mistake on your part, then why have you not asked your old insurance company how this is handled when you reported the claim to them?

P

P8yton

Who said anything about a mistake. I never had the time to cancel the first coverage, being that I never had any formal paperwork from Company #2 - except a faxed binder coverage. I went with Company #2 - due to them being $700 per year cheaper - this after 10 years without claim (They have 2 autos as well) with Company #1 - I owe Company #1 - zilch!

Business 101 - no need to tell an "Insurance CompanY" any excess information as it is their position to weasel out of responsibility at every opportunity. I just want my home restored to it's original condition.

I guess this forum isn't about advice afterall - just Insurance Company employees making posts in an attempt to make an honest person look corrupt. Did you forget my post that I was also consulting an Attorney on the matter. I was just doing this to be certain I was totally abiding within the law - protecting my interest - not the insurance company.

Bigfoot

Who said anything about a mistake. I never had the time to cancel the first coverage, being that I never had any formal paperwork from Company #2 - except a faxed binder coverage. I went with Company #2 - due to them being $700 per year cheaper - this after 10 years without claim (They have 2 autos as well) with Company #1 - I owe Company #1 - zilch!

##You didn't have the time to cancel, i.e., make a phone call that could have saved you paying excess premiums. A binder is just that=binding!

Company two is cheaper but you kept paying premiums to #1-the higher costing company-interesting!

Business 101 - no need to tell an "Insurance CompanY" any excess information as it is their position to weasel out of responsibility at every opportunity. I just want my home restored to it's original condition.

##Your home can be restored, however, unless you're willing to listen, you won't learn much.

I guess this forum isn't about advice afterall - just Insurance Company employees making posts in an attempt to make an honest person look corrupt. Did you forget my post that I was also consulting an Attorney on the matter. I was just doing this to be certain I was totally abiding within the law - protecting my interest - not the insurance company.

##So if you're consulting an Attorney (that you're no doubt paying for), why are you posting here?

K

knotcops

Cancel the policy with company #1 effective the date you took out the new policy. File the claim with company #2 and get on with it!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">